Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Heads up display

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up display

Is there anywhere that makes an aftermarket heads up display for the WS6? Would one from a vette work? Whats involved and what would I need to purchace with it? TIA
Old 01-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There used to be some old threads on this topic, but the search engine can't find them.

Basically the Corvette one would probably be a PITA to reconfigure. There are places that make HUDs that you can install. Two that I remember are Defi (http://www.defi-shop.com/) and Lingenfelter (http://www.lingenfelter.com/). Defi appears to still make theirs, but I couldn't find Lingefelter's on their site.

Well, I did more searching on Google.....
It founds some old threads here on LS1Tech!:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-performance/32070-hud-installation-my-hardtop.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/93022-anyone-have-aftermarket-hud-setup.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/107983-anyone-made-vette-heads-up-display-work-f-body.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/95713-heads-up-display-hud.html

BTW...
Here is the link to the archives.
I found it on Google:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1-domestic-forums/
Old 01-27-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont forget the Vettes and Grand Prix GTP with HUD have different windshilds. Most people think you can try and make HUD work but without the windshild it doesnt show up.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

I thought about this when I saw the one on the Corvette and then I saw Lingenfelter's but was concerned with the hump in the dash. If you get it to work let us know how it looks.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

I would love to see how this works out. Very intresting.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Just went through all the threads posted above and these were my findings to save someone some time of searching. In order to use the corvette take off or GM hud vehicle take off it has to be a 99 and above gauge cluster and works with the obd2. The Lenginfelter which is no longer sold and the Defi unit was the same. The people who went with the aftermarket Defi loved it and one guy said it worked fine without even using the strip of tint that came for it to put on the windshield. That same guy said the only issue he had with it was the way it sat on the dash board. Smaller than a radar but just didnt look clead sitting there. I believe the price was around $200 and it shows kmh/mph and has a shift light function.
Ive just added it to my list of must haves.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my HUD, I dont even look down at my cluster anymore.
Dont count on it as a shift light be cause you can barely see it.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel like I post this once a month. But I know the search function on this board hasn't been working very well lately either.

http://www.mobius1.net/gallery/galle...s.php?album=20
Old 01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by richieg
I feel like I post this once a month. But I know the search function on this board hasn't been working very well lately either.

http://www.mobius1.net/gallery/galle...s.php?album=20
Would you say it was worth it?
Old 01-28-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

totally worth it. It's more accurate, it has two shift lights with buzzer built in. And very upgadable. No need for extra boost gauges, nitrous gauges, it can do all of that.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Outstanding. I wonder if they would be willing to do a group purchase. Also, how hard was the install and is that your dash you cut into or some type of over layer?? Seems pretty straight forward.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Looks good. I am assuming that the unit from the vette would work the same being that its an OBDII also?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never seen the vetter piece or any other oem piece with my own eyes before. In the past years there have been many threads on the subject of using oem pieces, but every one I read ended with the fact there was no way the pieces would fit. I cut into the factory piece, the reason it looks different is because I covered my dash in a fabric material to get rid of all of that reflective plastic. There is very little room under the dash pad. The actual work was easy, tap a few wires, cut a hole, a little cosmetic work, done. The hard part was finding the perfect spot to mount it before cutting. F-bod windshields are very rounded and make it difficult to find that right spot.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Richieg: In the pictures on your site it looks like the HUD projects really really high up on the windshield. Is that because you just wanted to show that it works?

I'm not sure if you've ever been behind the wheel of a Grand Prix GTP or Corvette with HUD and seen how it projects... But how does yours compare with the HUDs of the two mentioned vehicles? Is it just as clear in projection? Can you set it lower in the windshield so the MPH reads just below the car in front of you?

It just looks kind of high in your pictures, but I may be looking at them wrong

I love HUD in my Grand Prix and it's definitely the first mod I'll do to a T/A once I get one...
Old 02-22-2006, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never been inside either of those cars. In my car I set the image directly in my personal line of sight. it would have been easier to install if the image was lower, and It wouldn't be possible to make it any higher and have it below the dash at the same time. It would have had to been on top of the the dash. in short, the display is the perfect location for me. As far as clarity goes, because I didn't use the supplied reflective material, and my windshield does not come with the film for the hud, I doubt it is as clear as oem's. On bright sunny days with the sun directly in front of me, the unit is not very good. good thing I only take her out at night.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by richieg
I've never been inside either of those cars. In my car I set the image directly in my personal line of sight. it would have been easier to install if the image was lower, and It wouldn't be possible to make it any higher and have it below the dash at the same time. It would have had to been on top of the the dash. in short, the display is the perfect location for me. As far as clarity goes, because I didn't use the supplied reflective material, and my windshield does not come with the film for the hud, I doubt it is as clear as oem's. On bright sunny days with the sun directly in front of me, the unit is not very good. good thing I only take her out at night.
ah ok.. I like mine a little low I think.. And my stock HUD in my GTP does the same thing in sunlight... It's just something you can't avoid. It's not a big deal to me though.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:57 AM
12 Second Club

Hi I found this thread on doing a search for HUD and I have just ordered my HUD from Defi.

Now my car will be sick! with HUD.

I can't quiet afford a Vett yet but I can afford $152 for a HUD!

Excellent!

I got it for a good price the USA price $152 + shipping to UK $35 and I will have to pay $30 import duty when it arrives

total = $217

Now if I got one from one of the UK stockist it's £ 213 ($383)+ £9 ($16)shipping

Total = $399

I just saved myself $182 by ordering from the USA

They don't call this place rip off Britain for nothing the whole frickin country runs on the same basis, don't charge what it costs plus a small profit charge what ever they think the market will stand!

Last edited by 99Z28camaroman; 01-06-2007 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Heads up display