Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LS1 monsoon system compatable with LT1 TAs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 monsoon system compatable with LT1 TAs?

I am about to purchase the whole monsoon system out of a 99 Z28 i believe, curious about 2 things:

1. Do they all have the same setup from 98-2002

2. Do they work with the 93-97 TAs
Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchris1109
I am about to purchase the whole monsoon system out of a 99 Z28 i believe, curious about 2 things:

1. Do they all have the same setup from 98-2002

2. Do they work with the 93-97 TAs
The Monsoon systems from 98-02 were basically the same although there were some minor differences between models that you should be aware of. The early CD head units (up until mid-99) weren't capable of controlling an external CD changer. All cassette head units will work with the changer. The Camaro and Firebird versions of the system were different. The Camaro HU is black with black buttons and blue/white illumination. The Firebird HU is dark gray with gray buttons and red illumination. The Firebird has a graphic equalizer whereas the Camaro has automatic speed-controlled volume. The speakers were different between the two models as well. Firebirds have components in the doors and DVC subs in the sail panels. Camaros have coax in the doors and SVC subs in the sail panels.

The biggest problem installing in a 93-97 model will be the speakers. I don't know what size speakers can be mounted (my 95 had a Bose system which was completely different). You might want to check that before tearing it apart.

The sound quality of a Monsoon system isn't bad for a factory system but I doubt you'll find it good enough to be worth the amount of work involved in mounting and wiring. For example, the Monsoon amp is mounted in front of the spare tire and powers all except the tweeters. So you have to wire from the HU to the amp as well as from the HU to the tweeters (and then from the amp to the other speakers, of course). You might want to consider a good aftermarket system instead.