Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Upgrade Stage 1 almost complete

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade Stage 1 almost complete

Just wanted to post up some pics of my current project. I'm putting in a new system and before I got all my goodies in I decided to lay down about 160 sq ft. of second skin deadener. These pics are after 80 ft of mat and 2 1/2 gallons of liquid. I plan on putting in the other 2 1/2 gal. of liquid this weekend and then topping everything of with some overkill closed cell foam and maybe some more carpet padding. The link to my photo album is http://photobucket.com/albums/f164/Jsturdivant/ Feel free to tell me what ya think.

Joe
Old 01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, looks like MUCH less weight than the X-Dynamat.......let me know how it works for you! I have (1) bulk kit and (2) door kits and (1) trunk kit. A lot of work isn't it? (lol)

See page (1) of my website --- About 80-100lbs
Old 01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was trying to keep the weight down half way, that's why I went with the liquid. But I plan on solving the weight addition by bumping the horsepower up to 450+ pretty soon.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am over 400# on the rears.......hence, my nickname "saggy ***", "junk in a trunk" (lol) 1/10 sec lost/100lb

It has been an ET killer....but I also plan on a bump in HP this fall w/228/230 cam

Good luck on the project!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why oh God why?

Who told you that's the way it should be done?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Why oh God why?

Who told you that's the way it should be done?
What's the problem?
Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It looks like no thought at all was put into this.
What was your objective, reducing panel resonance or to make the noise floor lower?

I see a huge waste of time, money and weight.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Actually, quite a bit of time and thought went into this. I searched every thread I could find on sound deadening before I even bought the products and then everyone on installation before any of it left the box. Then, I consulted the actual owner of Second Skin, from whom I purchased the damplifier. This is exactly the type, amount, and way that he recommended to use the product. This is pretty much a recreation of his install in his personal vehicle that I got from his install write-up. In fact, I've already gotten feedback from him on another site telling me how good everything looked.

To answer your question, my objective was both. Which is why I incorporated both closed cell foam and sound deadening mat/liquid. However, I'm kinda new at this, so if you think you know better please explain why instead of coming on with derogatory remarks. I'm all for constructive criticism that's why I posted, but the key word is constructive.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm just shocked is all. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure your car is quieter than when you started.

It's just that I'm old school. For resonance reduction I'll actually go in and see what panels need to be shifted in frequency and then take car of that, one piece at a time. For road noise I get in and see where the most noise is emanating from and take care of that. As the noise level goes down I'll hear the new next loudest source of noise and I'll fix that and so forth until the car gets as quiet as I can get it. Or whatever is a good compromise.

Your approach, and I'm sure countless others, just seems unscientific and haphazard. That style is like a shotgun and my style is more like a sniper rifle. I suppose they both work.

Can you post some of those links for sound deadening you mentioned? I want to read up on their theory. My interest is peaked.