Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help picking some good speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking some good speakers.

i have a stock monsoon system in my car and it sounds ok but i want something that sounds better. Im looking mainly for sound quality, not so much loudness, and i dont want to have to buy an amp or a different deck i just want to put speakers in the doors and in the back seats, im not worried about the ones in the hatch. so what would yall recommend? oh and also should i get different tweeters? btw car is an 02 ws6
Old 02-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Teching In

thats really a loaded question cause everybody has there favorites that the'll swear by.
I have Rockford's and am happy with them, i to wanted quality over loud, try crutchfield.com they have reviews and a pretty good choice of manufacturers plus you can get the wire adapters so ya dont have to cut up the stock wires. good luck. Skip.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok anyone else?
Old 02-06-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Alpines in the doors and rearhatch area. I've not replaced the sail panel speakers yet, but have ordered a pair of Pioneer TS-M7PRS's. Waiting for them to ship.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do the alpines sound?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I have the alpines in the door and they're much better. I would like to replace the others also, with what I don't know. Maybe the Infinety's cause they have a 2 ohm speaker.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever speakers you get, spend an extra $200 and get a half way decent head unit. You can buy $2k speakers, but they will still sound like crap with the stock HU.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Okie02
how do the alpines sound?
Noticeably better than stock. Best $100 I've spent in a while.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I have the alpines in the door and they're much better. I would like to replace the others also, with what I don't know. Maybe the Infinety's cause they have a 2 ohm speaker.
2 ohm speakers are not necessarily better than 4 ohm speakers. And the amplifier doesn't care. Not that the Infinity's are not good speakers. I'm just saying that the 2 ohm nominal impedance should not be the primary criteria for picking out replacement speakers.

Since I'm keeping the stock HU and Amp for now, the 2 things I look at for sail panel replacements are frequency range and sensitivity. The Monsoon uses these speakers as subs for the low frequencies only. For that, I'm looking for a speaker that will fit without modifying my SS and be able to produce lower than average frequencies for a 6.5". Also, since the Monsoon System does not put out a tremendous amount of power, I want a speaker with better than average efficiency (or Sensitivity) so they will be loud enough at moderate volume levels. These 2 criteria are far more important than worrying about matching the nominal impedance of the stock speakers.

For myself, the 4 ohm Pioneers I have on order, looked to be the best on paper. Of course, until I get them installed, who knows how they will sound. My 2nd choice is the Audiobahn AMD60Q's, but they have a 3.5" mounting depth, so not sure if there is enough room without modifications.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
I want a speaker with better than average efficiency (or Sensitivity) so they will be loud enough at moderate volume levels. These 2 criteria are far more important than worrying about matching the nominal impedance of the stock speakers.

For myself, the 4 ohm Pioneers I have on order, looked to be the best on paper.
Arent you cutting your power level in half by going to a 4 ohm speakers SO your loud at low volume isnt really going to work here will it?. Your saying to mis-match 2 and 4 ohm speakers on a 2 ohm system?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Umm. Yes and no. First, the nominal impedance varies with freqency. So the speakers are only 2 ohm or 4 ohm (or whatever) near the resonant frequency of the speaker. Not accross the whole spectrum. Second, electrical power does not necessarily equal sound power. A speaker is a transducer that converts electrical power to sound power, but all speakers do not do so with the same efficiency. Efficiency (usually called Sensitivity on most spec sheets) is the key. A 4 ohm speaker with an Eff. of 90dB/W/m will be louder at the volume level as a 2 ohm speaker with an Eff. of 86dB/W/m. Even though the 2 ohm will be drawing much more electrical power.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Just to muddy the watter a little more, the speaker with a high sensitivity may not have more bass than one with a lower sensitivity. The driver with the lower number sometimes can extend further into the bass range than the more sensitive driver. It just depends on where and how quickly the driver rolls off. Bass is always a trade off between sensitivity, enclosure size, and extension. Unfortunately, many manufacturers don't give you enough info to really make the best decisions for your intended goals.

Last edited by TA guy; 02-07-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Umm. Yes and no. First, the nominal impedance varies with freqency. So the speakers are only 2 ohm or 4 ohm (or whatever) near the resonant frequency of the speaker. Not accross the whole spectrum. Second, electrical power does not necessarily equal sound power. A speaker is a transducer that converts electrical power to sound power, but all speakers do not do so with the same efficiency. Efficiency (usually called Sensitivity on most spec sheets) is the key. A 4 ohm speaker with an Eff. of 90dB/W/m will be louder at the volume level as a 2 ohm speaker with an Eff. of 86dB/W/m. Even though the 2 ohm will be drawing much more electrical power.
good info, is there a formula for that? Not to hi-jack but hitech I've got another thread where I'm trying to configure a whole new system, would appreciate input if you dont mind.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...91#post4215591
Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA guy
Just to muddy the watter a little more, the speaker with a high sensitivity may not have more bass than one with a lower sensitivity. The driver with the lower number sometimes can extend further into the bass range than the more sensitive driver. It just depends on where and how quickly the driver rolls off. Bass is always a trade off between sensitivity, enclosure size, and extension. Unfortunately, many manufacturers don't give you enough info to really make the best decisions for your intended goals.
Very good points. That's why I was making my decision on a combination of sensitivity and frequency response. I don't expect alot of bass from any 6.5" driver. Just trying to make the best of the choices available for direct stock replacements.

I was looking for better than average sensitivity because I want to balance the output of my Alpines in the doors without fiddling with the fader control.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I agree with what you did, just pointing there are lots and lots of variables
Old 02-07-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

HighTechGent what model of alpines are you using? and also will 6.75 fit in the sail panels or just 6.5's?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

aparently, those TS-M7PRS's HiTech is buying are 6 3/4s
And I guess Im going to have to buy a pair too, but 185 seems a lot, let me know how they sound when you get them....
JD
Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Okie02
HighTechGent what model of alpines are you using? and also will 6.75 fit in the sail panels or just 6.5's?
I'm using the SPS-170A's that were originally recommended in the Monsoon FAQ. There are newer speaker models that may be better, but I'm happy with them. The Infinity KAPPA 62.7's are talked about alot lately for door speaker replacements. I think it is mainly because they are 2 ohm speakers.

I've read that 6.75's (commonly known as oversized 6.5") will fit better in the sails. I think you need adaptor plates for standard 6.5" speakers back there (supplied with many speakers). I haven't bothered to take the old speakers out yet and look at what I have to work with.

The TS-M7PRS are designed for a sealed enclosure (0.175cf) so I'll have to see how they do in free air. If they are not up to snuff, I'll see what I can do about sealing the area back there.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hightech i have another question for you or anyone else who wants to chime on. i picked out some speakers and i want your opinion on them please.
Sail panels

Front Doors

also do i need new tweeters for the front doors?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do yourself a favor... go listen to each speaker and bring your own CD. Also, have the store use an amp that is similar to the one you want. Dont buy based on specs. Everyone will have different taste.

For example, I was looking at getting some Focals. However, after listening to them, they were a bit to rich for my taste. Most will say that they are awesome, and I agree, just a bit too sharp for my ears.

IMO, you will be better off going with components up front.