Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Bypass Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Bypass Harness

Does anyone know if there is a harness made to bypass factory amp. I want to upgrade head unit and speakers but dont really want to run new speaker wires. 2000 z28 with monsoon system.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe there is a harness. However the pinouts can be found if you look around.

I typically don't recommend using scotchlocks but this is a pretty good place to use them. Use the scotchlocks for jumpers then tear them off if you go back to stock. You could also wire jumpers up as needed. The good news here is you can just jump one set of wires and hook it straight up to the normal speaker - no need to deal with bi-wiring.

However, I'd recommend you drop that head unit and speakers in and give it a shot. The monsoon amp (contrary to popular belief) is not the weak point in the monsoon.

The monsoon head unit is responsible for most of the high volume distortion. The monsoon speakers are responsible for the weak clarity. As an intermediate step in my vert I had a kenwood h/u driving alpine speakers using the monsoon amp and it sounded very good. I was extremely surprised. The amp definitely drove the speakers much harder than the Kenwood's 15x4 rms would have.

But if you do this it is important to bi-wire your speakers up appropriately. Check the stickies.

Last edited by todddchi; 02-07-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be beneficial to run new speaker wire. The stock wire is really thin and is cheap. Running new wire is easy and 16-18 gauge would be great.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

i believe the gm 32pin harness plugs in to the amp's end of the harness...from there you just need to figure out what's what.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just bought a Pioneer head unit for my car. I know I'll need the installation kit, the wiring harness, and the antenna adapter, but do I HAVE to have an amp bypass harness for my car? I have a 1997 Formula with the Monsoon.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

I thought I found an adapter from PAC or PIE that converted the stock plug into RCA outs a while back when I was looking at replacement options. You might want to search their sites for them.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:00 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

If I understand what you are doing you will not be using the stock amp at all. I started an amp install page but never put the text in it. Check this page. The 4th image shows my bypass harness. I picked up two GM radio adapter plugs at Walmart, I bought two since they only came with a few pigtails for a normal radio install. I de-pinned the two completely and plugged wires in to just the pins I wanted to use. I wrote some notes which I do not have handy but there is no hacking of the car at all.

In my case I took the rear speaker wires coming in and routed them right to the rear speaker tweeters directly. I wired my new speakers to those wires at the speaker locations. Those are the loops sticking up in the photo.

The black harness I made comes from my amp and goes to the front speaker tweeter wires. The prong terminals connect to the amp speaker outputs. Like the rear I wired my new speakers to those wires at the speaker locations. Only four wires are used here since the outputs from the amp going into the car harness to get to the doors. The amp uses RCA cables from the head unit.

I can simply unplug the harness from the car and plug the amp back in to undo everything.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by blind527
I just bought a Pioneer head unit for my car. I know I'll need the installation kit, the wiring harness, and the antenna adapter, but do I HAVE to have an amp bypass harness for my car? I have a 1997 Formula with the Monsoon.
No, you don't have to bypass the amp. Using the wiring kit you bought you will be able to plug your Pioneer head unit directly into the factory radio harness and still use the Monsoon amp.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, you don't have to bypass the amp. Using the wiring kit you bought you will be able to plug your Pioneer head unit directly into the factory radio harness and still use the Monsoon amp.
Figured. On my old Mustang... I got a head unit and they said *Best Buy* said I needed an amp bypass. Never got one, and it worked like a champ. Figured the same with this.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blind527
Figured. On my old Mustang... I got a head unit and they said *Best Buy* said I needed an amp bypass. Never got one, and it worked like a champ. Figured the same with this.
On my mustang I did use the stock 460 amps but I found a harness that converted the RCA outs of the head unit into the wires going out to the harness. It made a HUGE difference in sound quality over just wiring the head units front/rear L/R
Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I misread your question, I thought you wanted to bypass the amp. I didn't realize that you were asking if you had to. Just buy the adapter harness for the radio end and plug your new head unit in.

Quick Reply: Amp Bypass Harness