Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charging problems

I'm having some difficulties with my 2000 2500 6.0L Silverado. The alternator is not charging the battery.

Some Conditions:

When the truck is turned off, the voltage at the post on the back of the alternator matches that of the battery.

When the truck is turned on, the voltage at the battery is 10.5-12 volts (depending on how run down it is), but at the post on the back of the alternator I am only showing 3 volts.

If I unplug the weatherpack connector on the alternator, the back post on the alternator goes back to matching the voltage of the battery. Checking the voltage of the single wire in the alternator weatherpack connector I get a negligible voltage, less than 1 volt (like .005 to .01v). I'm pretty sure this voltage should be higher, like at least 5v, I checked on an '05 silverado and it was spitting out ~10v.

I've changed out the battery and alternator with new/known good ones and still have the same problems. I did a glance over of all the fuses under the hood and on the side of the dash and only found one that was blown. it was 'LT TURN'. I replaced it with a new one and I still have the same problems.

Does anybody know what the pinout is on the PCM for the alternator signal wire?

Are there any other sensors/fuses/wires anywhere else that I should check for?

This problem just arose, it has been working fine, then yesterday just stopped charging alltogether. It's really got me stumped so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks