Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sirius Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sirius Question

I want to hardwire my receiver into my stock monsoon head unit so that i dont have to use the FM transmitter anymore. I thought i had seen a write up for that on here before but i wasnt able to find anything on here or searching on google. Could anyone describe what i need to do or post up a link to write up. By the way its a 99 TA, thanks.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is how I added XM to my stock Monsoon headunit:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm
Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link but could anyone chime in with how to hardwire the newer receiver or a link with products for sirius? Unless i missed something that link only talks about XM and im not all that advanced with wiring so i dont know what would or wouldnt apply. Thanks for any help
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

XM and Sirius have different programming, etc. but the receivers work basically the same. They all have audio output from a 3.5mm stereo jack. You can use the same PIE (or PAC) adapter with either one to provide RCA input jacks to your car radio through the CD changer port. Then all you need is a cable with RCA plugs on one end and a stereo 3.5mm plug on the other to connect from the satellite radio to the adapter.

Two things to watch out for... First, your radio must be either a cassette unit or it must be newer than mid-99 if it is a CD unit. Those are the only models that will work with the PIE (or PAC) adapters. Second, pay careful attention to the input voltage requirement of the satellite radio if you hardwire the power supply. Some are 12V but some are 6V and use a transformer built in to the cigarette lighter plug. Hardwiring a 6V receiver to your 12V car will fry it unless you use the proper transformer.