Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help: Pac Gm9 Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Pac Gm9 Won't Work

couldn't wait for my pac gm9 audio adapter to come in today, so i finally get it and get the stock cd player out. i unplugged the stock wire running to the cd changer(that I dont have) plugged in the 9 pin adapter from the PAC box, perfect fit. so then i plug the original 9 pin adapter to the female connection coming out of the PAC box, perfect fit. run to radio shack pick up a rca to headphone cable, plug it in to my ipod press cd/play on my headunit, and nothin. so i double check everything, and I start looking at the plug from the cd changer wiring to the female connection on the PAC box and there are 2 rows with 9 holes in each one, well it look like the receivers on hte pins are on the top row, and the pins plug into the bottom row, so there is essentially no connection. I go to pull ou the 9 pin plug fromt he back of my radio and i cant even get it out to check and see if it is the same way. HELP PLEASE
Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Teching In

no one has one of these adapters?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The problem could be a couple of things. First, the PAC GM9 adapter requires a working slave unit (CD changer) be attached at all times in order for it to work. You say you don't have a changer so that would be the first thing to suspect. The instructions should have mentioned this. There is a similar adapter made by PIE that works only if there is no CD changer installed - this might be what you need.

Second, these adapters (regardless of manufacturer) only work with changer-capable head units. For F-bodies this means any cassette head unit but only mid-99 and newer CD head units. 98 and early 99 CD head units wouldn't work with a CD changer. You don't mention what year your car is but that could also be a problem. (The fact that you have the changer cable doesn't mean you have a changer capable head unit.)
Old 02-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I have a 2000 monsoon in dash cd player.

I swear that I read somewhere that people were using these without a cd changer.

So I definately need a cd changer? There is no way to make this work without buying a cd changer?

here is the adapter i bought
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/pacaaigm9.html
Old 02-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

That's correct. Have a look at the requirements paragraph on the page you posted the link to. The last line says "Please note that the slave unit must continuously be playing for the AAI-GM9 to work."

If you're using it for an iPod you might want to get their AUX-POD instead. It works without the external CD changer and provides extra iPod functions such as charging the battery and changing tracks from the steering wheel controls. Or, if you want something less expensive try the PIE adapter.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Launching!

I've been looking to add aux inputs to my system, too. I know some need one, some can't have one, and I think one will let either work, don't recall it now ... that's the one I'd want though. The PXGM9/AAI-GM9 seem to need a slave:

Requirements: The sedan or SUV/truck factory headunit must have a separate working slave unit which uses the GM 9 pin connector (1995-2002 vehicles). Slave unit examples are: external CD changer, cassette player and/or single CD player. Please note that the slave unit must continuously be playing for the AAI-GM9 to work

However, the PAC AUX-BOX sounds like it will work without a changer, maybe you can exchange it?

Note: The AUX-BOX will only work stand alone. If the vehicle has a separate CD changer, XM or cassette player, it will have to be disconnected in order for the AUX-BOX to work.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...iliary%20Input
Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

well after weeks of searching I thought I was getting the right adapter, but I wasn't:

the PAC AAI GM9 works ONLY if you have a cd changer!!!

the PIE AUX GM9 works ONLY if you don't have a cd changer!!

and since i bought the item off ebay I can't exchange it or I would. So I guess what I have a PAC AAI for sale.

I think the Difference in the adapters should be put in a sticky somewhere, because I came across about 5 open ended posts where no one knew which was which.

this sucks
Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Ya, should be in the FAQ ... something that's fairly common and it's confusing since they all the similar model names but work completely opposite of each other.

The PIE one is probably best since the AUX-box costs more and requires you to buy a vehicle-specific cable, too.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You don't need the stock CD-Changer for the PIE GM9-AUX. You only need a stock Monsoon headunit that is capable of controling the stock CD-Changer.

I Know from experience: I have a GM9-AUX and I don't have the stock CD-Changer.

Here is how I added XM to my stock Monsoon:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm

Somtimes the GM9-AUX doesn't work at first, just wait a minute and it will start working.

Here is a trouble-shooting guide I put together:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....04&postcount=4

The PIE GM9-AUX does has a pass-through for the stock CD-Changer, but I don't have the stock CD-Chagner so I have no experience with that aspect ot it.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:07 AM
Teching In

how often does this happenw here you have to reconnect eeverything? how often do you have to wait a couple mins to get sound?

Don't forget I have a PAC AAI GM9 for sale-$50 shipped

Last edited by max5; 02-18-2006 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I think I have an intermittant electical problem. Its happened 2 times in the past two years and they happened a few months apart (the last time was a month ago). This shouldn't happen at all. When this happens, the radio switches back to FM also.

Quick Reply: Help: Pac Gm9 Won't Work