Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tach Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tach Wiring

Not sure if this goes here, but I'm assuming I'm close..

Anyway, I just installed headers and now it's time for a tach. It's an Autoguage with shift lite and I'm wondering where everyone is splicing into the wires at. Under the dash/steering wheel, under the hood? Also, I have a printout of which wires I can use, but I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right ones or not. Sorry if this sounds really stupid

TIA for the help and no amount of information is too much - I don't know much about the wiring.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Teching In

the tach wire is under the hood and it goes from the pcm to the abs module...it is a white wire coming out of the pcm inside of the red connector(there is a red and blue) it will be between a dark green/white wire and 2 open spaces with another white wire after those followed by a red/blk. there are 4 seperate little rows in this connector..it is the 10th one in the row. Hope this helps
Brian
Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help
Old 02-17-2006, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Each pin in the connector mounting to the pcm will be numbered, you need to tap into the the #10 wire on the lower connector as described above. You can then also remove the pcm and find the grommet behind it with a wiring harness going through the firewall, and cut a small hole in that grommet to run the wire into the interior of the car for a clean install. Just a little extra info.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Teching In

That info is much appreciated as I'm wondering where to splice into the wires and where to run them. The tach will be mounted on the a-pillar (driverside of course). Thanks.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Since your car is a '99+, you can get your power source from I believe any pink wire under the dash or behind radio, as they are all switched sources. But test it before you splice into it to save you any trouble. Many people pick up power from the pink wire going to the traction control switch plug due to the convience of the wire. You can gain access to that switch by just removing the radio. You can just find one of the screws going into one of the metal brackets under the dash for the ground wire. And finally for the tach to light up when your lights are on, you will have to test to find the correct wire going to some other light source, possible the power wire coming out of the harness that plugs into the headlight switch, which would be going to the headlights. Maybe someone else can eleaborate on which specific wire to use. But if you want the tach to just light up all of the time when the car is on, just use the same wire for the power wire to the tach.