Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp overheating . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Amp overheating . . .

I have a JL Audio 300/4 amp mounted back in my spare tire compartment. Now that the hot summer has hit, I'm having problems with this sucker overheating. JL has a feature that once the amp gets a certain temp, it turns off, thakfully enacting its self preservation.

My plans to comabt this are turn the amp to where the cooling fins point to the right(instead of up). The manual says this is more efficient for cooling.

I also want to install a small fan on the unused speaker grill back there by the amp. Does anybody make something like a small computer fan that runs on 12 vots? How should I wire this? The only way I can think is to use a spot on the fuse block and wire it so that it is switched on by turning the key in the ignition.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most comp fans are 12 volt, go to any local electronics store (CC, BB, or GG) and check voltage.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

i would get a large 12 volt fan like what dj's and some home theater setups have in component cabinets. the pc ones only go up to around 120mm, some are 140mm but its still not the greatest cfm for cooling an amp...

turns out cardomain (which is a non-sponsor but i dont think any of the sponsors sell this) has some http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~t~12+Volt+Fans
Old 06-05-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

honestly, unless your amps are in a sealed environment, there should be no real need for fans. If your amps are overheating under normal conditions in less than a few hours of normal play, id try to get the amp warrantied instead of making a bandaid. Ive played my polk 4 channel and sub amp for hours on a few trips to LA and had 0 problems, sure the amps were pretty hot, but the protection and thermal LED never turned on.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could wire the fan to your amp. i.e. remote wire.. that location sounds like a good idea. i may have to look into that.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

what is the impedence you have to the speakers?

btw, if you are going to use a fann off the remote turn on, use a relay
Old 06-07-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

off-topic, but how easy was it to fit the aftermarket amp in the stock location back there? i been wanting to do that, but never seen write-ups on it.. was also lookin at the exact same amp u got, so size wuldnt be that big of a deal.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was kind of tricky to mount back there because you have to stand on your head to work on stuff back there. The worst part was trying to screw the wooden board to the screw holes in the car, you only have a few inches of clearence on the back side of the board. I also put my crossovers back in there.

What type of subs are you going to run??? If you are going to have a huge sub box taking up all the room in your "trunk", I'd mount it somewhere on the box, or on the back of the box.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill eventually drop a jl 10w-series later on, but for now, im just workin on the speakers. i guess ill worry about the amp rack for both subs when the time comes, but for now, i know it wont be for a long time. just wanna keep my sound system lookin clean and stock-as-possible.

u got any pics of installation? wut board are u talkin about? im gonna take a look at the area today when i get a break from work so i can have a better understanding... but did u just make a board to fit back there?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Launching!

You could always buy a crossover! Turn the amp all the way down. And set the crossover to your preference.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're in a closed space with nowhere for the air to go
particularly. At least you can stir it up some and hope
the body sheet metal passes it on out. If you can
position the fan somewhere that it will actually draw
in outside air that would be better. Digi-Key is one
place to look for 12V DC brushless fans but so are
thrown-away PC carcasses. You could get a cheap
thermostat switch (also from Digi-Key) that runs the
fan only when the amp case gets hot, simplifying
the battery-drain, switched-power problem and