Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How difficult are 2-din Nav installs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult are 2-din Nav installs?

I searched for a couple threads and they didn't have the information I was looking for. Other than making a new plastic shroud, how difficult is it to install a 2-din navigation headunit in a Camaro? I like the Pioneer models but prefer the non-popout ones because they are clean and look factory. So I like the AVIC-D2 and -Z1
http://www.pioneer-itknows.com/

They seem really cool but I want to know if it's easier to put in a N1, N2, N3 because they take up less room initially but then have a sort of ugly protrusion?

Anyway it looks like if the bar separating my Monsoon and the A/C ***** was removed that it's a perfect rectangle to put in a 6.5 or 7" screen.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

ive put in a 7" xenarc touch screen, it was about 20 hrs of work........ but overall im happy with the results. If i could do it again, I would go with an ECLIPSE AVN-6600 (which i recently ordered for my brother). Go with the avic-z1, the d2 does not play DVD videos only nav and CD.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking about all the extra features on the Z1 but didn't think they'd serve ME much more than the D2. Did you put the 7" screen in your Camaro? If you did, how much cutting did you need to do or did you rebuild the dash opening?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
I was thinking about all the extra features on the Z1 but didn't think they'd serve ME much more than the D2. Did you put the 7" screen in your Camaro? If you did, how much cutting did you need to do or did you rebuild the dash opening?

I had to rebuild the whole piece, I used mar-glass to fill in and shape the dash piece.