Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring Question

Can somebody tell me where in my 98 Z28 (w/o monsoon) the wires that go from my stereo to my front speakers splice into the two tweeter wires at???
I know the question sounds confusing, but connected to the back of the radio are 4 particular wires: a positive and negative for the left front speaker and a positive and negative for the right front speaker. However, at the front speakers themselves, there are 2 wires for the woofer and 2 wires for the tweeter. I need to find where at in the car the other 2 wires on each side splice into. One of the wires has a problem and I am just going to rewire it.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Teching In

I too and looking for the answer. if you hook up the wires that are from the amp to the speaker where do the hell do you put the tweeter wires?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unlike the Firebird, there are no splices for the front speakers on a Camaro. Both the tweeters and the mids in the doors of a Camaro are powered by the amp. So what you have is a pair of speaker wires for each side going from the radio to the amp and then two pairs for each side from the amp to the door speakers.

The Firebird has its tweeters powered by the head unit so they are spliced into the speaker wires before the amp. The splices for each of the four tweeter wires are in different places. For example, the left positive is in the main instrument panel harness about 3" from where the ground wire that connects to the right A pillar breaks out of the harness.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unlike the Firebird, there are no splices for the front speakers on a Camaro. Both the tweeters and the mids in the doors of a Camaro are powered by the amp. So what you have is a pair of speaker wires for each side going from the radio to the amp and then two pairs for each side from the amp to the door speakers.

The Firebird has its tweeters powered by the head unit so they are spliced into the speaker wires before the amp. The splices for each of the four tweeter wires are in different places. For example, the left positive is in the main instrument panel harness about 3" from where the ground wire that connects to the right A pillar breaks out of the harness.
First, he asked about the non-Monsoon system. I thought the primary difference between Monsoon and non-Monsoon equipped Fbodies was simply that the non-Monsoon system did not have an amp.

Second, in the Camaro Monsoon setup, the tweeters are also driven by head unit, not the amplifier. As in the Firebirds, the Monsoon amp only powers the woofers in the doors and sails, and the 4" mids in the rear. Firebirds differ in that they have seperately located door tweeters, DVC sail speakers, and an extra pair of tweeters in the rear hatch.

As for 97MysticZ's question on where the wires splice in, I don't know. If it's really important, you'll just have to follow them back from the door.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
First, he asked about the non-Monsoon system. I thought the primary difference between Monsoon and non-Monsoon equipped Fbodies was simply that the non-Monsoon system did not have an amp.

Second, in the Camaro Monsoon setup, the tweeters are also driven by head unit, not the amplifier. As in the Firebirds, the Monsoon amp only powers the woofers in the doors and sails, and the 4" mids in the rear. Firebirds differ in that they have seperately located door tweeters, DVC sail speakers, and an extra pair of tweeters in the rear hatch.

As for 97MysticZ's question on where the wires splice in, I don't know. If it's really important, you'll just have to follow them back from the door.
First, a non-Monsoon system doesn't have the tweeter and mid in the door - it has full range speakers there so there wouldn't be separate wires. Most of the older Monsoon systems didn't have the label on the head unit but I'll bet he'll find a UZ7 code on the door.

Second, the Camaro Monsoon setup does have the tweeters powered by the amp. In fact, all speakers in the Camaro coupe are powered by the amp. There are eight outputs on the amp and eight speaker elements in the Camaro. Here is the wiring schematic for the doors and sail panels:

The Firebirds use the eight outputs from the amp for all the speaker elements except the tweeters in the door and hatch area (door mids = 2, sail panel DVC subs = 4, and hatch mids = 2, for a total of 8).
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 AM
What's a Sticky?

So are you saying that basically since my front door speakers have 4 wires on each side that it was/is a monsoon system? And I can verify this by finding a UZ7 code on my RPO sticker??
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM
What's a Sticky?

Well to clear up all confusion now, I just went and tore apart my car and looky what I found in the back, a freakin monsoon amp!! I guess this kinda explains now why my damn hatch speakers seemed louder than the others with the fader set at 0 or even up to 2 towards the front.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Teching In

so what ur saying is to run all four wires to the new aftermarket speakers. Since there is no extra set of hook ups?????
Old 07-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Opie01SS
so what ur saying is to run all four wires to the new aftermarket speakers. Since there is no extra set of hook ups?????
If I understand your question correctly, you want to install aftermarket speakers in the doors and don't know how to use the two pairs of wires there?

This subject has been covered many times and is summarized pretty well in this thread (ignore where he says that the tweeters are powered by the head unit - a common misconception that doesn't affect the rest of the discussion). Basically, you want to get coaxial speakers that can be modified to work as components by separating the leads for the tweeter from the mid. If you don't want to modify your new speakers then pick one pair or the other - don't connect both. You may want to try each of the pairs to find out which gives you the best sound.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Teching In

this monsoon system is more of headache

So would it be better to buy a set of speakers that the tweeter is seperate but still mounts on to the speaker?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that would be the best way but that type of speaker isn't very common.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Im little slow on this but can you show me in pics how to seperate the tweeter wires from the speaker?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Anyone???
Old 07-08-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First, a non-Monsoon system doesn't have the tweeter and mid in the door - it has full range speakers there so there wouldn't be separate wires. Most of the older Monsoon systems didn't have the label on the head unit but I'll bet he'll find a UZ7 code on the door.

Second, the Camaro Monsoon setup does have the tweeters powered by the amp. In fact, all speakers in the Camaro coupe are powered by the amp. There are eight outputs on the amp and eight speaker elements in the Camaro. Here is the wiring schematic for the doors and sail panels:

The Firebirds use the eight outputs from the amp for all the speaker elements except the tweeters in the door and hatch area (door mids = 2, sail panel DVC subs = 4, and hatch mids = 2, for a total of 8).
Thanks for the correction.

I was simply going by the info in the Monsoon FAQ. You're the first person to actually contradict that information on these forums. ALso the first time I've seen the schematic.

They have the Firebird schematic available here:

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/index.htm

Along with info on the Camaro Monsoon, including an incorrect pinout of the amplifier (no tweeter ouputs shown).

Can you post the rest of the Camaro schematic?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Opie01SS
Im little slow on this but can you show me in pics how to seperate the tweeter wires from the speaker?
This is not conveniently possible for all speaker models available.

But it is fairly simple to do with Alpine S-series speakers. I beleive this was why they were the recommended choice for door speaker replacements.

I don't have pictures, but here's a detailed write-up of how to mod the Alpines:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/397043-highly-detailed-instructions-sps-170as-camaro.html

As for the need to bi-wire the doors:

According to numerous threads the woofer outputs have low-pass crossovers built into the amp. This has been tested and verified for the sail panels. I do not know that anyone has tested the door woofers. But it seems likely that they would be low-passed as well.

That would leave the tweeter wires as the only full-range signal to drive your full-range replacements, assuming the amp doesn't have a corresponding hi-pass filter for these channels (it's never been mentioned but it is a possibility).

Seeing as tweeters require less power than woofers, it would make sense that the channels for tweeters (and mids in the rear) would likely not have the same gain as the woofer channels. IF true, it would mean your door speakers would not be as loud as they could be.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by HiTechGent
Thanks for the correction.

I was simply going by the info in the Monsoon FAQ. You're the first person to actually contradict that information on these forums. ALso the first time I've seen the schematic.

They have the Firebird schematic available here:

http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/monsoon/index.htm

Along with info on the Camaro Monsoon, including an incorrect pinout of the amplifier (no tweeter ouputs shown).

Can you post the rest of the Camaro schematic?
To be honest, I had always assumed like everyone else that the Camaro Monsoon systems were wired the same as the Firebird (except for the SVC subs). I knew that the speaker setups were physically different but until I was researching this question about the wire pairs in the door I thought the wiring was basically the same. I have since confirmed with a Camaro owner that the schematic is accurate and all speakers are powered by the amp.

Here is the rest of the schematic:
Old 07-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks hitec I will try that soon

Quick Reply: Wiring Question