Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can you change the head unit and keep the Monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the monsoon amp splits the 4 channels to all of the speakers.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Default The Mosoon head i

The Monsoon head is 1.5 DIN which makes .any direct fit require modification.
if,you install a smaller head that,is the smaller single,DIN,head the, you just need to install a plate around it,as,the opening, will be much larger than the head unit.

If like,me you like the newer style,heads with screen's,that,play DVDs,and,navigation and Bluetooth and USB input,and,on and on those,are,double DIN,so you will be,having,to do some,cutting,to allow,for,the,install and it,is,obviously pretty, permanent
I have only seen one 1 1/2 DIN,head,I think from Kenwood,and,it,was,expensive,and,didn't,have many features

One,of,the,biggest,positive changes you can make,is,installing,new,speakers,
All the,way around. The stock,speakers,are pure garbage. The only reason to keep them is, to give them to the buyer,if,you ever sell the,car.

Also the,Monsoon amp and,speaksr ohm,ratings,were not the best to try, to retain that amp and use it to power the new stuff.
if you were just,going,to keep stock,speaker sizes,and,no extra woofers,etc then,you might be able to use the amp power from the ndw head,unit to power, the front,speakers,and,a second,small amp for the,rear.
That,is what I did,with my first,car when I was,16 and had a 1971,Mustang,Mach One. I replaced,the stock speakers with Alpimez,and a new,Alpine,head,with the,glowing green buttons,back in 1981 and a small Alpine amp to power,the,fear,and,it soundex,great

The,steering,wheel control adapter, is, a must,for, me.
I would,read,the,past sticky post,and,define your,budget,but IMO,you need,to swap out the OEM,speakers,to get huge gains,in sound quality. Salez on pairs of speakers, that,are,direct fit,and,.can use,the,stock,grills are on sale cheap all the,time.

Well that's,my story and, I,am sticking,to it.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:07 AM
On The Tree

Default Wow long time

Man long time. My Monsoon is still stock and s piece of trash especially with stock speakers

I have however spent a bunch of cash on some engine internals and just put in a brand new transmission. I am about to sue a few people to fix what looks like minor body damage that was flawless until I had six hit and runs only once while I was in the car so that is my goal. And the power drivers seat has the leathern torn up and have not figured out the least expensive fix. Probably a seat from a crashed car someone is parting out. I just dint see them and new covering is $500. Bummer

Quick Reply: Can you change the head unit and keep the Monsoon?