Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Motorized the Rear Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone Motorized the Rear Hatch?

I'm redoing my sound system and the rear won't be used for storage anymore. It will all be stereo gear and I was wanting it to be motorized both for security reasons as well as visual impact.

I was thinking both struts could be replaced with actuators but then you get into the potential for one to get stuck or not work and the other will twist the hatch possibly breaking the glass. That's a big worry for me. I think one actuator is strong enough to lift it, but how can I get one to lift it evenly as well as pull down evenly to seal the hatch from water?

Anyone have any ideas or seen a motorized hatch on a different car?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice idea. maybe a strut on the one side to keep it even going up and down. or if u can fab up sumthing in the middle at the top of the window
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, you can't have one strut and one actuator because when it pulls it down to seal it one side will get pulled further down than the other and cause a twist. I also thought about putting an actuator on the roof and having it move to the rear and then mount a bar across the hatch, but the big problem there is that there is no way to hide the actuator on the ceiling. It's just one problem after another, so I think the only practical thing to do is use 2 actuators in the strut locations.

The key may be in the electronics. There may be a device that can control the actuators in unison to prevent unwanted flex. I'm hoping someone has done this before.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe modify parts from a car that has it already. my sisters rx330 has it and her hatch is way heavier then ours
Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let me explain that. The reason it's heavier is because the factory added a lot of bracing to keep it from twisting. They also built the car around the mechanism and have a special latch that grabs the hatch and locks it into place. So there isn't really a way to adapt those parts to a car that was not designed around it.

So really you need a car that someone has already adapted. I'm sure someone in the soundoff scene had to do this to either a mustang or other hatchback. I'm going to try over there.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Let me explain that. The reason it's heavier is because the factory added a lot of bracing to keep it from twisting. They also built the car around the mechanism and have a special latch that grabs the hatch and locks it into place. So there isn't really a way to adapt those parts to a car that was not designed around it.

So really you need a car that someone has already adapted. I'm sure someone in the soundoff scene had to do this to either a mustang or other hatchback. I'm going to try over there.
good luck. sounds like a real interesting project
Old 09-06-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm trying to get an e-mail to Dave "Fishman" Rivera. I'm sure he would know.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

sounds great, hope you find a way to do it!!

i'll go with 2 actuators, and find a way to cut the power when one of the actuators stop working...

good luck!!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

the lexus rx's us 2 struts on both sides. and on the left side use a motor with a u that pulls or pushes the back up. but u cant twist the back hatch on an rx like on a t/a
Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crazymofo1986
but u cant twist the back hatch on an rx like on a t/a
huh?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

on a trans am if u pull the side of the hatch to close it the hatch twists not bad but its not even. go try it. and the rx wont do that its solid
Old 09-08-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I know what you mean. I haven't found Dave's e-mail address, he may get too much mail already.

Anyway, do you guys think this concept is a good idea for security reasons?

I think it is. Besides, it will look cool.

I can imagine cruising down the road (40mph or so) and raising the back hatch half way and letting the bass out and having all the lights glowing. It would be cool. Or when that annoying guy behind you at the drive thru cranks his bass up, I can raise the hatch and blare my music right in his face! Time for a little payback.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, that would be interesting. It's probably take a lot of work, but usually good ideas do. I like the idea of sharing you tunes with the world too. Lol.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I saw a blazer a while back who had the whole rear door motorized and he opened it while going down the road and you could see all these blue lights and videos screens and I was like "what the hell"?

It definetely gets your attention.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well good luck and make sure you post up pics when it is done