Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio Replacement question. Update stock, or go aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Replacement question. Update stock, or go aftermarket?

I have a 2001 Z. It has the Monsoon system, with a tape player and 6 disk changer. I want to replace the Tape player, but keep the 6 disk changer usable.

So, should I replace the current tape deck with a factory Monsoon CD player, or update to aftermarket? I'm looking at getting a Pioneer DEH-45DH (Din + 1/2" style) for $70 bucks:

I don't want something amazing for the car, just something that will play CD's and let me use the 6 disk changer. Will that allow me to do that, or sould I spend more, and get a factory replacement?

Thanks.
Milo.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The only way you can continue to use the factory CD changer is to use a factory head unit. If you put in the Pioneer head unit you'll have to get a Pioneer changer to go with it. (Yes, I know the factory changer was made by Pioneer but it was made to GM specs and isn't compatible with aftermarket head units.)

As far as factory single CD head units, only 2000 (actually late 99) and newer units can control the external changer. You should be able to find a factory HU for sale relatively cheap in the For Sale section here or on eBay.

Another option might be to keep the cassette HU and use a cassette adapter to connect an MP3 player or satellite radio.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The only way you can continue to use the factory CD changer is to use a factory head unit. If you put in the Pioneer head unit you'll have to get a Pioneer changer to go with it. (Yes, I know the factory changer was made by Pioneer but it was made to GM specs and isn't compatible with aftermarket head units.)

As far as factory single CD head units, only 2000 (actually late 99) and newer units can control the external changer. You should be able to find a factory HU for sale relatively cheap in the For Sale section here or on eBay.

Another option might be to keep the cassette HU and use a cassette adapter to connect an MP3 player or satellite radio.
WhiteBird00, thank you so much for your informative reply! I will pass on the aftermarket one, as I want the stock look, and have the disk changer to work.

Thanks again!
Milo.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Pioneer A LOT, and my recommendation is to get their din CD-MP3 deck. You can fit at LEAST 6 cd's in MP3 Format onto a single disk. I have 10 CDs on the one in my player right now (Pioneer DEH-4600MP)

Here's what I recommend: $200~ http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...063713,00.html
(The DEH-5700MP, 5600MP are good too, older models though.)

Unless you don't want something too fancy: $150~ http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...048449,00.html
(Same story, 4700MP, 4600MP are older but still play MP3s

Or the lowest I'd go is the: $130~ http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...009705,00.html
(Third verse, same as the first)

There IS a 2800MP model, but that's like, if you're kid's first car is a heap and he needs a stereo lol Might as well get him MP3, so that's the one. However a Firebird deserves better I'd REALLY recommend the higher models, but that is getting into some $$$ even I wouldn't spend

I personally recommend Pioneer, because I've been really happy with the decks I've had. Once you get into audio a bit more, even with what you have, there's a more advanced audio tuning feature in the Pioneer decks that lets you fine-tune the audio quality in the Hz range to your liking

Either way, if you don't want MP3, they have updated versions of the one you listed. Here's their current line up: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...069880,00.html

(No, I'm not affiliated, nor do I see income from Pioneer lol, as I said I just like them)
Old 11-26-2006, 04:56 AM
On The Tree

would a newer radio out of like a Envoy work. they have in dash changers
Old 11-26-2006, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by blownbird355
would a newer radio out of like a Envoy work. they have in dash changers
No, unfortunately the newer GM radios won't work. Aside from the fact that they are double DIN and won't fit in our 1.5 DIN dash opening without modification, they are also wired completely differently (class 2 data) so they can't be connected. The one exception is the Vibe radio - it's double DIN but at least it uses standard wiring connections.