Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Could it be corrosion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Could it be corrosion?

The battery cable has some built up corrosion.... When riding and battery charging at 14, the car is temporarily loosing electrical power. for a micro sec the radio may cut down or sometimes the gauges go haywire like they do when trying to start the car without a charged battery. I thought that the cable couldn't be causing the problem because the alternator should be running everything after the car is cranked, Right? Any help will do. I have to drive home 35 miles from work this afternoon.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the corrosion? With side post batteries, it is possible to crack the battery when screwing in the battery terminal, but generally so little that you won't notice it, and acid will slowly leak down the cable and eat it.

Probably better you replace the whole cable. If the corrosion is by the battery, I might recommend replacing the battery...

Or you can just break out the wirebrush and try that...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is corrosion around the positive terminal. But should the corroded wire cause the problem I'm describing if the car is running (alternator running).
Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can definitely. I'd replace the battery and wiring, personally, but you can try just the wiring if you want.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Like Dragonrage said, I would not take any chances, change the battery and cables, not too expensive and pretty much a sure shot for a fix.