Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
Anyone bought one of the aux input Monsoon HUs off ebay? I'm usually all for doing my own work, but my CD player is inop on my current HU, so I'd have to buy one anyways. Looks like there's a guy selling them for $119, which isn't bad considering I'd have to pay $75-$100 for a stock one in decent condition anyways.
For that price, I would be looking into an aftermarket HU with aux ports, improved sound quality etc. But I guess I understand if you are wanting to maintain the stock look.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Whats the sellers name, I would be interested in looking at that, did he have any non-monsoon HU's?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Z28-S10-...0956b4&vxp=mtr

I think the lights are the wrong color for a trans am/firebird
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah the firebird hu's have red lights and an equalizer. Do those hu's work on 98s?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Edit! Went ahead and answered my own question by just going ahead and doing it, but kept the original post in a quote block below in case anyone else had the same question. I went ahead and tapped into wires 5 and 6, adding the jack in, and it works perfectly. Now I can switch between CD and AUX with the push of a button on the head unit, and I just leave a blank tape in the casette slot all the time.

To anyone else who's done this from the tape player; For the dummy tape, does it need the actual tape inside, or can I remove the magnetic tape but leave the spools and still have it think there's a tape? This would avoid wear-and-tear on the magnetic head, avoid a massive tangle of tape if I ever have to eject it, and remove the need for the player to noisily switch sides occasionally.

Evenin' gentlemen!

I've started work on this for my '02 Tahoe. It has the Delco HU:

The truck has a remote tape deck in the center console which I'd like to tap into for the AUX jack. According to information around the net, the wiring color for the tape harness should be:
1. Battery Out - Orange
2. E & C Data - Darker Green
3. Ground Out - Black
4. Audio Com In - Light Brown
5. Left In - Orange w/ black stripe
6. Right In - Lighter Green
7. Voice + in - Bare w/ clear tubing
8. Dimming Out - Gray
9. R14 Out - Blue

However, after pulling the tape deck on my truck today, my colors differ, as seen here; (sorry for the poor picture, only had my phone on me)

Mine are as follows, with differences from the above in bold;
1. Orange
2. Darker Green
3. Black
4. Black w/ white stripe
5. White

6. Lighter Green
7. Bare w/ no tubing
8. Gray
9. Red

Has anyone done surgery on this cable for the AUX jack? Do I still tap into wires 5 and 6, despite the difference in color (white instead of orange for L. audio)?

Last edited by Eckhart; 04-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

To the post above and anyone in the future, if you want to check and see which wires are your left and right signal, just take a paperclip and ground out the wires to the case via the paperclip. When the sound goes out on the left side of the car, you found the left signal, when it goes out on the right, you found the right signal wire. Obviously DO NOT do this on the power wires. Those should be somewhat easily identified. But this works well and I did it on my remote cd player in my suburban.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the sticky, now my aux works great. As recommended I used a length of cat5 cable and a mini audio jack to get it done. I had the jack come through the center console at the ash tray to allow the phone to be connected and sit nicely in the cup holder. The aux audio is perfect, however, I did notice that when not using the aux hookup that the CD audio sounds a little "synthetic" if that makes any sense.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The aux audio is perfect, however, I did notice that when not using the aux hookup that the CD audio sounds a little "synthetic" if that makes any sense.
I noticed the same thing and can't decide if the CD audio quality went down after doing the mod....or if the aux audio is just so much better that it makes the CD sound bad in comparison.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

doing this to my c5 has a 12disc changer so i tryed to tap into the orange and green black wires in the back of the radio, everything works normally, i play the cd on the changer and but once i connect the input cable and the whole radio shuts off and turns on once i unplug it.

thought it might have been the black cable so i spliced it into the black wire to the cigarette lighter, still no luck, im sure i got left and right correct..
solderd them all, maybe i swiched the cables around?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -98-Z28-Darkness-
doing this to my c5 has a 12disc changer so i tryed to tap into the orange and green black wires in the back of the radio, everything works normally, i play the cd on the changer and but once i connect the input cable and the whole radio shuts off and turns on once i unplug it.

thought it might have been the black cable so i spliced it into the black wire to the cigarette lighter, still no luck, im sure i got left and right correct..
solderd them all, maybe i swiched the cables around?
are you sure you tapped the right wires?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol no! i think i got the main one and i need to get the smaller 4wire connector!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a c5 vette if i recall the changer wires are in 1 of the 2 smaller harness'
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
on a c5 vette if i recall the changer wires are in 1 of the 2 smaller harness'
thanks, yeah i tried to play with the bigger harness

ran out of time so i decided to put it back together soldered everything and try again next week,
i guess i can rule out the giant double decker plug. on the passenger side of the radio

the very small one on the bottom driver side wont be it either must be for the amp because i still got sound out of it.

so must be the upper driver side harness,

anyone can clarify that would be great, 01 c5 cd radio with 12 changer
Old 05-10-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Beggers can't be choosy but, is there a cable from the jack to the ipod/mp3 hhat will charge also? If not nbd.
This thread is amazing & I am set to do it this weekend. I think I have the ribbon cable but I can't find what post # it was. Does anyone know or have a link? Brian.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Launching!

It doesn't do power, it just uses the headphone jack. I just used network cable for mine
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Jason, you are superman for this mod. Can you link me to your thread w/ the ribbon cable please?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I don't think I every posted any specific part number for cable, you can pick up network/ethernet/cat5 cable from walmart, etc if you don't have any spares laying around
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jason,
Sorry I was not spisific. If you could send me the link or instructions for your ribbon cable mod I would really appriciate it. I am getting the install done Saturday AM. Super Thanks. Brian.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean - the instructions should be in the first post of this thread, is that what you're looking for?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean - the instructions should be in the first post of this thread, is that what you're looking for?
I thought the mod was different if we have the computer ribbon style cable? I want to be prepared just in case for Sat AM. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Someone had a flat ribbon cable where the wires are more like "printed" on, that would be very difficult to do. If it's more like an IDE ribbon where it's normal wires attached together side by side you can carefully separate them

Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter