Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 05:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter

Old 07-19-2009, 04:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ytheres gotta be a way to get an ipod cable and hack it up to do both....
hmmm i may cut one up before the weekend is over...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
I think for recharging you're probably best off using a USB cigarette adapter.
I agree. i just bought one of those usb cig lighter adaptors for my DD so i could use my cheap 1gb mp3 player that runs on a single AAA battery from the usb adaptor and not have to have a battery in it at all. the only downside is i can't shut it off since it turns on instantly when plugged into a usb port (for copying songs) so i just unplug it when not in use. much better than swapping AAA's every few hours, lol.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Default Great post but I have a question

I made the modification and it really works well... The sound is actually far better from the MP3 than from the built-in CD drive and radio. This is a great post... I did the modification to my HU with a CD because this post shows the wires to connect to but unfortunately this HU has a problem with controlling the power antenna. Looks like it is not sending power to the antena when the radio is turned on. I do have another HU that controls well the power antena but it is a cassette one and the inside does not look at all like the pictures posted for HU with cassettes in this thread... I'm posting a picture. Anybody has a similar HU and can share wich wires I do need to connect to? Also, anybody knows if the HU is sending power to the power antena all time when the radio is turned on? If this is the case, I can just re-wire the power antenna to the accessories position in the ignition switch...
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_1502.jpg  
Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

I knew there was a way to do this !
Thanks
Can we call it the Jason mod ?

Just did this and the directions were perfect.
3 bucks plus a cable

Last edited by jims73z; 07-29-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Good news. Yea I didn't need to dremel, there wasnt much that came past the edge, but enough to get a few turns on it. I'll update once I get the wire and the ipod.
I did the same exact thing after seeing your pic, worked geat and really like the location of it.. Nice job
Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

Just did this on my S-10 and I'm pleased to say we have another success story. Thank you Mr. Novak!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished mine today.Mine had the ribbon instead of the wires,it was much more difficult but was worth it and I put the AUX Jack in the face of the head unit this also took a lot of patience.Thanks for all the information guys.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0056.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0055.jpg  
Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Nice Job. That must have taken a LOT of patience. But looks well worth it. Can't wait to do mine.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LT1/TA
I just finished mine today.Mine had the ribbon instead of the wires,it was much more difficult but was worth it and I put the AUX Jack in the face of the head unit this also took a lot of patience.Thanks for all the information guys.
Nice Job. Do you remember what pins went to what channel? I have the same radio and want to do this mod.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

PM sent to ssbowtie1
Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Launching!

I'm impressed you were able to mod the ribbon cable ... did you just cut the ribbon were needed and solder the wires to the board instead? Face plate installation looks good, I did that at first but didn't take into account how much the trim would cover and it was hard to plug in a cable, I'm using it in my grand am and it works great
Old 08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the complement Jason,I think you started a great thread on adding the Auxiliary Jack.This should be a sticky.

Yes,I cut the ribbon cable it is also circuits 1&3(1-left channel and 3-right channel),then I soldered the four wires to the ribbon,but the right channel out to circuit board wire broke loose so I soldered it straight to the circuit board.The face plate took a little time,but it was well worth it to me and the clearance on the jack to the trim bezel is very close,but it plugs in just right. Here the right channel out from the jack to the circuit board connection,the left channel out from the jack is still soldered to the ribbon.

Just another cool thing about the faceplate install it that the jack port lights up with the radio lights.The picture does not show to well,but it is very visible in person just under the hour and minute illumination.

I put some pics up showing how the case was modified and the black silicone looks terrible covering the solder joints,I wish I had used a hot glue gun.
Attached Thumbnails How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0084.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0076.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0083.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0068.jpg   How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0072.jpg  

How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter-img_0079.jpg  

Last edited by LT1/TA; 08-14-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jus finished this mod today, i'll get pics of my stuff soon, works great!! thank you jason!!

as far as the ground goes, all i did was leave the wire out and about and jus put it between the mount hardware on the HU and the actual mounting holes on the dash, works fine for me..... pics soon....

+1 for the Jason Mod!!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this mod to my stock cd head unit in my 99 gtp. It works like a charm with my 4 GB mp3/video player.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

jus finished up doing this on my buddy's 2000 Z28, got it done without any kinks along the way... thank you once again, he loves it!!

ill get pics of both once mounted
Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Teching In

how does this work on the tape decks any one have a write on on them?

i may do this to my GF's 92 le sabre with a tape deck if it isnt ribbon cable type
Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Launching!

It can be done with a ribbon cable, it's just more difficult. If the cassette part is a separate module it should be pretty easy to do, just need to find the left/right channels ... here's how I did it:

"I had a stereo connector and hooked into a 12v power supply, you may need to run it off the car's connector. I made a probe by cutting off the end from an old set of headphones, and hooking the left/right channels together, and the left/right grounds together, and then each to a paper clip, plugged it into a female/female adapter, and then into a set of speakers. You could also just cut off the end of some headphones and probe using the headphone ends, just be careful because you can get some really loud tones. Put the ground probe onto the metal case of the stereo, and then tap each pin looking for sound"
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jason Novak
It can be done with a ribbon cable, it's just more difficult. If the cassette part is a separate module it should be pretty easy to do, just need to find the left/right channels ... here's how I did it:

"I had a stereo connector and hooked into a 12v power supply, you may need to run it off the car's connector. I made a probe by cutting off the end from an old set of headphones, and hooking the left/right channels together, and the left/right grounds together, and then each to a paper clip, plugged it into a female/female adapter, and then into a set of speakers. You could also just cut off the end of some headphones and probe using the headphone ends, just be careful because you can get some really loud tones. Put the ground probe onto the metal case of the stereo, and then tap each pin looking for sound"
how can i tell if its left or right channel?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Launching!

I don't remember how I did it ... I think I just used the fader to shift sound to all left or all right once I found a pin with audio on it.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Teching In

do you have to have a tape playing to hear the audio when you go through a tape deck like you do for the cd player?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How you can add an aux input/mp3 player without an adapter