Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Head Unit with Built-in Sirius???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Unit with Built-in Sirius???

Im looking for a head unit with Built-in Sirius radio. I have an account with them already, and the Sirius Sportster in my truck. I love the Sat radio but I dont like the way it works or all the wires dangling around. Id much rather have an all in one setup.

So far Ive only been able to find head-units that are 'Sirius Ready' and have an aux-in jack. I dont want this. I want to install my head-unit, call Sirius and have it activated. No add-on bull... No wires dangling everywhere, just a clean all-in-one HU.

Am i dreaming? Or is there such a possibility? Just want Sirius, CD, and pre-amp outputs.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
Im looking for a head unit with Built-in Sirius radio. I have an account with them already, and the Sirius Sportster in my truck. I love the Sat radio but I dont like the way it works or all the wires dangling around. Id much rather have an all in one setup.

So far Ive only been able to find head-units that are 'Sirius Ready' and have an aux-in jack. I dont want this. I want to install my head-unit, call Sirius and have it activated. No add-on bull... No wires dangling everywhere, just a clean all-in-one HU.

Am i dreaming? Or is there such a possibility? Just want Sirius, CD, and pre-amp outputs.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
I don't know of any head units that have Sirius (or XM for that matter) built-in - they all require an external tuner. That said...it's not the same as just an auxiliary input. They are designed so that adding the tuner allows you to use Sirius as though it was built-in to the head unit. All the channel and track information will display on the HU's display and the controls for changing channels, etc. are on the HU. Once the tuner is installed and hidden away under the dash someplace, you wouldn't know that the head unit didn't have Sirius built-in.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an XM ready alpine 9831 hooked up with the alpine sirius adaptor/tuner and now I can toggle between my tuner, "xm" (sirius) and CD from the steering wheel without any extra visible tuner, its all hidden behind the radio, and the song/artist/channel display on my headunit.

pat
Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Could you guys please clarify. The only 'tuners' I can find are the ugly boxes that display the channels and song selection. I dont want to buy one of those at all. How about this, can one of you kind people spec me out a headunit and tuner part #'s for the sake of possible visibly example?
Or even a link that will show me what i need?
Im very hard at understanding without visuals at times

TIA
Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Kenwood ez700sr. And I love it! It is Sirius ready so I just had to wire it normally like a regular headunit. Only difference is that in the back of the unit there is a plug for the antenna. It light red and matches the interior of my T/A perfectly! I'll try to get a vid tonight so you can see how it works.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire67
Could you guys please clarify. The only 'tuners' I can find are the ugly boxes that display the channels and song selection. I dont want to buy one of those at all. How about this, can one of you kind people spec me out a headunit and tuner part #'s for the sake of possible visibly example?
Or even a link that will show me what i need?
Im very hard at understanding without visuals at times

TIA
Here's an example using an Alpine setup:

The Alpine CDA-9883 is a Sirius-ready head unit:

It uses an external tuner box that hides behind the dash:

Once it's all connected you would use the controls on the head unit to control the satellite radio just like you control regular radio, CD, or whatever. The channel name, artist, and track information is displayed where it says "MP3", "Enterprise", etc. on the head unit display in the picture.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, that's the ticket there! For some reason I was thinking the Sirius tuners you see advertised everywhere was what you guys were talking about. I was like 'why would I want one of those under my dash?'

I got it now though, thanks for SHOWING me what I need to look for!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My headunit I don't even have that external box. It is all built into the headunit. Here are the pics.

Quick Reply: Head Unit with Built-in Sirius???