Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to wire up a 4 chanel amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to wire up a 4 chanel amp

How would you wire a 4 chanel amp into the 6 speakers in an F-body While using the factory head unit. Im thinking that you would have to hook the rear speakers up in a paralell or series for it to work and hook the front ones up normal, but im still cluless
Old 05-01-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: How to wire up a 4 chanel amp

ttt
Old 05-05-2003, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

im pretty sure hooking them up in parralel would work i know that you will be splitting the power up between the speaker so each would get half of what a singel channel would get, if that makes sense to you, sorry if it sounds confusing, but i dont see why that wouldn't work, a lot of sub boxes come wired in parrallel and i dont' believe any amps should have problems with it.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks
But wouldnt hooking then up in a paralell change the OHMs (resistance) in the system and drive more power. I dont really know too much about this stuff. If I hook up for speakers to a 4 chanel amp, that would be 4ohm's and I thought that if I hookes 2 of thoes up in paralell that it would change it to 2ohm's alowing more power to be driven
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...c=01&avf=N
Theres some info on the ampt im talking about
Old 05-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

damn resistance i forgot about that. I think ur right about that i would have to double check but for now i am pretty sure you are right. But if you got that amp you wouldn't really need to wire anything in parrallel, i dont know how serious you are getting into ur stereo but 60 watts into some aftermarket full range speakers will crank pretty good. if you are sticking with the four speakers i would just recommend one per channel and then a nice sub or something in the back on a seperate amp, or you could get something like the infinity basslink, one cubic foot to let you maintain some space as well as having the amp integrated which is 200 watts rms the thing probably pounds pretty good. ill double check on that parralel thing though. Let me know if you got any more questions ive wired up stereos in my past three cars. Dan
Old 05-10-2003, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I thought that I would have to wire it up in paralell in order to hook up the rear 6x9 and the rear quater panel speakers, and then wire the front door speakers up to the front chanel on the amp. The amp is a 5 chanel amp so that leaves me with another chanel open for adding something like a stealth box.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

oh yeah, i got a 93 so i forgot that there are more speakers in the newer cars. as far as i know you should not run into any problems then, the wiring should work out fine. The ohms wont pose any threat i have been running four ohm speakers on an 8 ohm amp in my house stereo for four years no problems. im still asking around but i dont think it will pose any problems for ya but you would need to wire them in parrallel then.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks
Old 05-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

no problem man hope it bumps when you get everything put in.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

you said you have a 5 channel?

what year is your car?

my 01 Z28 had:

- a pair of 4 ohm 6.5" two ways in the doors (mid/tweet in one houseing)
- a pair of 2 ohm 6" subs by the rear seats
- a pair of 4 ohm 4" full range in the far rear

this is what I would do....

channels 1/2 = are for the highs in the front

channels 3/4 = are for the lows in the front

channel 5 = run the factory subs in parallel to make a 4ohm load till you get a "real sub"

you don't want the rear speakers to even work.....it took a long time for me to understand this till one day I just went out and faded the rear compleatly out.....

I sat and listened to it for a little while and realized it actually sounded MUCH BETTER....now I don't even run them...

the factory subs are better than nothing, but in the long run, ditch them for a real sub....they can't handle the power (distort).