Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Where to mount Sirius antenna?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Default Where to mount Sirius antenna?

Anyone put Sirius/XM radio in their car? I'd like some ideas, both in cabin and out of cabin. If I can get away with mounting it inside the cabin instead outside I'd love to do so. I know it needs a straight shot up at the sky and was hoping a place on the front dash might work.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Launching!

I had this exact problem myself two weeks ago. VIP1 gave me some excellent ideas and I followed them - works like a charm. Mount it IN the hatch. Well here, let me copy and paste the PM he sent me:

Actually I have XM, but thats besides the point.

The panel is just held in with some plastic "trees" in some spots. If you start at the back and pull down, you can look in with a flash light and see where they are to concentrate your effort. Be careful to pull evenly on them and not yank so that you don't damage the panel or the plastic "trees", Sometimes the panel will come down and the plastic "trees" will stay behind. If that happens, don't panic. They are just attached to the panel in a slot. Pull them down from where they are stuck and re-insert them in the slot from which they let go. If any get damaged, they are replaceable. You can typically find them in the Help! isle at auto parts stores (Pepboys has a bigger section).

In the pictures, you can see raised boxes/towers on the panel. The plastic trees are on those. The plastic tree pulled out of the middle one in the first picture (you can see it better in the second picture), but you can still see the yellow plastic trees on the other two.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM
pit
Staging Lane

i mounted mine right in the middle of the t-tops and ran all the wires thru the headliner , it works great
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pit
i mounted mine right in the middle of the t-tops and ran all the wires thru the headliner , it works great
Me too, wish it was more hidden though....

I'm afraid of losing signal putting it anywhere else.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I put mine in the center of my dash, about 3-4"s from where it meets the windshield. I used a strip of magnetic tape to hold it onto the dash, and I get a full signal with it consistantly.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

i put mine under the dash it has a magnet and sticks to that piece under the dash.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Mine's under the windshield cowl. Perfect reception. Completely hidden.

SIRIUS antenna, BTW.

Last edited by Jeff 97 Formula; 08-08-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by majeskyb
I put mine in the center of my dash, about 3-4"s from where it meets the windshield. I used a strip of magnetic tape to hold it onto the dash, and I get a full signal with it consistantly.
That's what I'm planning too. I noticed the signal is good there also.

What ideas do you have for running the antenna wire to the under dash area?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try this. I put mine in the very right side of the dash, where the pillar and the windshield meet. It is just shooting over the wiper if you can imagine where it is. basically I have my head unit, (Im XM) just to the right of my radio, I went to a cell company and ordered a cellphone car clip that clips in behind the radio. So from there I wired the antenna wire behind the radio and then took in back by the fire wall where the passangers feet would be, but tucked in to the carpet, from there I tucked it in the plastic and routed it up through the underneith of the plastic and up on the dash tucked all away. Cant see any wires at all, and lots of times, people never see the antenna, and I never loose reception, I always have 3 bars and once in a while 2. Ill snap some pics if you want. Ill check back on this thread. Trust me I love the way mine turned out.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Resident

mines under the hood (SS hood) and i get great reception. Only time it cuts out is tunnels, HEAVY overhead obstructions, and Gas station overhangs.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 AM
12 Second Club

Under the hood here as well...as long as you have a fiberglass hood you will have no problems and its hidden really good, mind is stuck right on the strut tower next to the gps antenna
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of good ideas here.. I think I'm going to have to hide my antenna.. It is currently just sitting on the rear trunk lid..
Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Just ordered mine today. This all good info. The underhood temps will not harm the receiver? Under the Cowl is a good idea too. I'd like it to be hidden.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

take off the rear cloth piece near your taillights, on each side is a small lip, the magnet will stick direct to this and you just run the wire under the carpet, works like a charm.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Default X3

Originally Posted by pit
Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
Me too, wish it was more hidden though....

I'm afraid of losing signal putting it anywhere else.
I hate drop outs so I mounted mine right behind the black t-roof divider so that it blends in somewhat. I was going to paint it body color but it looks okay like it is. I ran the wire under a seam under the roof panels and continued it through the plastic molding, under the door panels, under the carpet, through the glove box, behind the bezel to the radio.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I have thought about mounting mine on the T-Top divider.. It'd blend in even more there..

However, some guys are mounting it completely hidden and getting zero cut outs so I think I'll try that..
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6 View Post
Try this. I put mine in the very right side of the dash, where the pillar and the windshield meet. It is just shooting over the wiper if you can imagine where it is. basically I have my head unit, (Im XM) just to the right of my radio, I went to a cell company and ordered a cellphone car clip that clips in behind the radio. So from there I wired the antenna wire behind the radio and then took in back by the fire wall where the passangers feet would be, but tucked in to the carpet, from there I tucked it in the plastic and routed it up through the underneith of the plastic and up on the dash tucked all away. Cant see any wires at all, and lots of times, people never see the antenna, and I never loose reception, I always have 3 bars and once in a while 2. Ill snap some pics if you want. Ill check back on this thread. Trust me I love the way mine turned out.
I have mine there also, but sometimes I lose reception which pisses me off.