Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

QUESTION:shut off auto popup lights on t/a

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION:shut off auto popup lights on t/a

Tha title might not be the clearest but my problem is this. I have a 1998 Trans Am that has some wierd things in it when i bought it awhile ago (about 5years im the second owner) it came with blue tinted mirrors and very dark tint as well. also has a plug in block warmer w/ regular 3 prong plug.I was told that this car is a true canadian car. After checking the vin at work its true. The original owner lived in canada and had these options available to him. i am the first owner in the us other than the dealership i bought it from. Also the pop up lights come on when ever the sensor detects low light supply. Example im driving going into a tunnel 30 secs later they pop-up. i get back to bright light thay go down this is all automatic. HOW can i disable this what would be the best way without messing anything else. I am looking to be able to put headlights on when i want to and not to rely on the sensor. Thank you for help.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I havent heard of auto pop up headlights before on a TA it must be a Canadian thing. Here is a thread that is similar to your question.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...uto+headlights
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

All Canadian Firebirds have automatic headlights just like Camaros. The same modification works on both models. There are some really dumb ways to do it and there are a couple of methods with unnecessary parts like resistors.

The simple and correct way to disable the automatic headlights is the same way GM disabled them on US Firebirds - by connecting the two sensor leads together to make the system think it's daylight all the time. No resistor or cutting of wires is necessary. Just lift up the dash panel and crimp a Scotchlock connector onto the two sensor wires so that they are connected together. Very easy to do, and just as easy to put back to stock if you ever want to.

EDIT: When I say dumb, I mean really dumb. The cutting of the orange wire at the headlight switch works on a Camaro (although it's always better to make modifications without cutting factory wires) but it will cause a Firebird to lose all of its running lights.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-31-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

When you say lift dash panel do you mean the piece thats in the middle of the windshield with the vent cuts in it? i'm not the best with wiring i can turn wrenches all day mental block with wires though. any chance of pics on what i need to deal with? if so thank you very much.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by wrath22
When you say lift dash panel do you mean the piece thats in the middle of the windshield with the vent cuts in it? i'm not the best with wiring i can turn wrenches all day mental block with wires though. any chance of pics on what i need to deal with? if so thank you very much.
Yes, the unpadded part of the dash that has the defroster vent. The light sensor is on the right side of the vent next to the alarm LED (if you have the factory alarm system).

You don't actually have to remove the panel - just lift it up enough to reach under it. Remove the t-tops so that you can access the screws at the top of the a-pillar (windshield pillar) trim panels. There are two phillips screws on each one. Remove the screws and the pillar trim will just snap off then you can lift the dash panel. It is held in place by a combination of snaps and velcro. Be very careful of the edges of the panel - they're very sharp (don't ask me how I know that). You will see the two light green with black wires hanging down from the sensor. Just crimp on a Scotchlock connector so that it connects the two wires together then put the trim panels back.

Here's a picture of the underside of the dash panel:
https://ls1tech.com/forums//attachme...hmentid=102259 (note the wire colors are different because the picture is from a Camaro)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Wow thank you so much i thought this was going to be very involded but i guess not evan i can't mess that up lol. thank you for taking the time to get that pic man very cool. this site has never let me down. always a pleasure to talk to everyone. Well thanks again1
Old 08-31-2007, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is that car? I want to order that blue driver side mirror for my Camaro, and I need to know which year Firebird to look up at the dealer
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by DuronClocker
What year is that car? I want to order that blue driver side mirror for my Camaro, and I need to know which year Firebird to look up at the dealer
The blue tinted outside mirrors were used from 95 through early-99. The parts guy would have no problem looking up the number because it says "blue tint glass" right in the description.

The problem will be fit. You can't use the entire miror because they are completely different shapes between Camaro and Firebird. You might be able to use just the glass but I think they're different shapes as well. There are no common part numbers between Camaro and Firebird outside mirror glass so there is definitely some difference between them.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm it appears the glass is slightly different in size, I wasn't aware of that. Oh well, guess that idea is down the drain! Thanks for the info!