Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Head Unit Cutting Out...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Unit Cutting Out...

After much testing, searching, and frustration... My head unit keeps cutting out every once and a while to no particular pattern. The only thing i know for sure is that it only happens when the car is moving. If i tap on the bcm a couple times behind the glove box, it will turn off completely then come back on a second later and be fine for a little while. Anyway, i determined that at least one wire some where is giving me trouble, but i cannot track it down. I ran a new ground wire from the head unit to an amp in the back of the car, so that rules out that. The only other two wires this could be are the constant and the signal (red and yellow). This afternoon im gonna bypass the wire harness and plug them straight to the head unit. I dont think that will fix it but its possible. I want to know if there are any other places i could directly plug in the head unit signal wire to that will give me the same properties as the bcm. Advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I thought i fixed it but once again i was wrong... I found that the red wire in the back of the wiring harness was only held on by one thread, so i redid that. About a month later (yesterday) it does it again out of nowhere! I brought it in to a shop that i like and showed them that when you tap on the BCM it cuts out, i wanted them to check the wires going into the harness to make sure that was a tight connection to the harness. Well, they just called me and said that I'd prolly need a new BCM... I really want to avoid doing that so first i think ill try to mabye wrap up the bcm in the glove box in all kinds of padded material so it doesnt get any shocks, but i dont think that will work very well when the bass is hitting hard.

Really id like to give the head unit a different input trigger to turn it on. Is there any wire i could just splice to the head unit into to make it turn on when the car is on and the ignition is turn on acc? Im gonna go the dealership today and see if i can get the hookup on a bcm and installation... Please let me know!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Ive been having the same problems man, but my windows cut out as well...it has to do with the BCM or wiring harness coming out of it. Some people have had luck fixing the loose or damaged wires or buying a new BCM....
Old 10-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, i just had a local shop check those connections and they say they are good. It must be the BCM then. I went to the dealership and it didnt cost as much as i thought it would, its only 260 or so. I guess thats my next step.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

I'd shop around, try GM parts direct or a similar site, I heard you can get it cheaper than from the dealership. Just make sure its unused of course. GL