Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommend an XM/Mp3 ready head unit..

Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommend an XM/Mp3 ready head unit..

Hey guys-

I am lookin' for a head unit for my daily driver/commuter car..

I want it to be XM ready and able to play MP3's...

I've always had Pioneer equipment, but am open to suggestions..

Anyone recommend a decent head unit for around $100?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

I just got a new Alpine 9885 and its pretty phat. It was also 300 bucks. They do offer several other head units. check them out on line. As for finding something for aroung 100 it will be hard because you are still going to have the pay for a satilite subscription witch is around 130 to 150 for the year. Plus you have to buy the satalite reciever. You should just go to a local audio store and get some info before you buy something. Get educated.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I should have been a little more in depth..

I currently have XM in the TA, my wifes car and both our airplanes.. I am fairly educated on the aspects of XM..

I was thinking about getting a Pioneer Inno to put in the Integra and also listen to it at work, but lately, I've just been thinkin' about keeping the Ipod and not worrying with a portable XM player..

I can get the antenna and receiver for less than $100 for an XM ready head unit, so I am willing to spent around $100 on a head unit for the Integra..

I just thought I'd see if anyone here could recommend a decent head unit for around $100...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

i would just stick to the ipod myself, just my 2 cents, but i also have an alpine 9883 and i love it its the 200 model and it does everything the 9885 does except the 9885 display is better
Old 09-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Default here you go

XM Ready, Play MP3, Under $150 @ Crutchfield.com

Just select your car. I have had 4 Kenwood's recently. Not a single complaint about any of them.

Last edited by turtle313; 09-07-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, if I want to listen to the Ipod in the car, I'd either have to buy the FM transmitter or get a head unit that has a Aux input. The Integra is not Ipod ready..

I don't use the Ipod too much.. I just use the Ipod to listen to while flying..

I am thinkin' about putting XM in the car.. I guess I'll just pick up some decent head unit off eBay or pick up an Inno and get the car kit and sell the Ipod on ebay..
Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

How do you have XM in the car? If you have a Pioneer XM receiver (like I do) you can get a Pioneer XM-Ready headunit to control it. The DEH-P2900MP typically goes for around $110 online. With a separate adapter, it can work with the iPod as well. If you can spend a little more, you can go up to one of Pioneer's upper models that have some additional features, like iPod control built in (or they come with that adapter, I forget which). Some of the upper models also have AUX-IN, USB, Bluetooth. But the price increases, of course, with the addition of each of those features. If you want to retain steering wheel controls, you'll need a separate adapter from PAC (SWI-X is universal, SWI-PS is for Pioneer & Sony) for around $60 online.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-07-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, I dunno what I've said or done that has made this soo complicated..

I have my Trans Am.. It has XM through a head unit and the antenna/receiver just as everyone else..

I have a second car, Integra, that does not have XM..

I was simply looking for some suggestions on a decent $100 head unit, that is XM ready.. That is all I was looking for. I thought, maybe someone here has done a similar thing to a commuter car.. I have no need to put an extremely nice head unit in the thing, but I love XM and would like to have it in the Integra..

I have been looking at a couple options..

1.) Pioneer Inno - Portable XM, I could use it in the car and at work. However, my stock head unit does not have a external input. So I'd have to buy a new head unit anyway.

Which lead to me to start looking at head units.. I do not want to spend a ton of money on a head unit on my commuter vehicle.. So I thought I'd see if anyone here, had put a cheap XM ready head unit into their car and might could tell me "Hey, the Pioneer XXX is a pretty decent cheap head unit.. " or maybe.. "Hi, the Sony Zyx is a decent head unit that is also XM ready..."

I understand what is needed to get XM to play through my speakers..

I was just looking for some suggestions on a decent, cheap, head unit..

Thanks guys..
Old 09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trutle - Thanks.. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Pioneer DEH-P2900MP...
Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Looks like a good choice. What year is the Integra?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 1997 with about 150K on her..

100% Bone Stock.
Attached Thumbnails Recommend an XM/Mp3 ready head unit..-integra.jpg  
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Tram
I have my Trans Am.. It has XM through a head unit and the antenna/receiver just as everyone else..
How? Like mine?
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm

I was simply looking for some suggestions on a decent $100 head unit, that is XM ready.. That is all I was looking for.
Thats all I gave you and added a recommendation on retaining the steering wheel controls.

1.) Pioneer Inno - Portable XM, I could use it in the car and at work.
I've been considering this lately too since I travel for work and my car sits unused for a while.

However, my stock head unit does not have a external input. So I'd have to buy a new head unit anyway.
How is XM currently installed?
You can use a PIE GM9-AUX to convert the factory CD-Changer port into AUX-IN. I'd recommend also getting a pre-amp/line-driver to boost the signal, but its not required.

Trutle - Thanks.. Looks like I'm gonna go with the Pioneer DEH-P2900MP...
That was my suggestion.

I still have a very important question for you:
How is XM currently installed in your car?
The answer to that will determine which headunit to buy and if any additional adapters are needed.

I'm a bit confused on to which car you want to add the XM-ready headunit? If the TA, why since you already have XM in it? If the Integra, you'll still need to buy a XM receiver in addition to the new headunit or you can get an aux input adapter (if available) and connect the new XM receiver to the stock headunit.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

VIP1-

I'm looking for a head unit for the Integra..

In the T/A I have a Pioneer DEH8400.. It is an XM ready unit.. I had to purchase an antenna and a receiver.

The Inno would rock.. I have been thinking about getting one for a while and ditching the Ipod.. I could get XM in the cockpit which would be sweet..

I have decided to go with the DEH-P2900MP for the Teggy..
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I have decided to go with the DEH-P2900MP for the Teggy..
You still need to get a XM receiver for it if you want XM in the Integra.
-or-
If you get the Inno, you can use the headunit's (both cars) aux-in (if it isn't built in, an adapter is available) and take the Inno from car to car as you wish.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-07-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, I know I'd have to pick up both the receiver and antenna..

What kinda adapter could I get to run and aux in, into the Integra's stock radio, as it has no aux-in currently..

For my purposes the Inno would be an extremely effective Ipod replacement, as I could just listen to the radio rather than deal with loading the box with songs..

*edit*

Man, I was just lookin' at your install.. Have you had any issues with the XM antenna being in your spoiler??
Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I don't know much about Acura Integra radios, but here is a listing of possible adapters:
http://www.myradiostore.com/auxadapt...put-oem-acura/

If you don't have the external CD Changers, the most-likely adapter is "PIE '92 - '98 Acura & Honda Aux-Input HON-AUX". It should also be available from Crutchfield and SoundDomain.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Man, I was just lookin' at your install.. Have you had any issues with the XM antenna being in your spoiler??
No issue at all.
It works perfect.

Here is more detail on the antenna location:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/760312-where-mount-sirius-antenna.html
(Gallstaff posted my PM to him in post #2)
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

For my purposes the Inno would be an extremely effective Ipod replacement, as I could just listen to the radio rather than deal with loading the box with songs..
The Inno isn't an iPod replacement. It only has 1GB of memory that on the outset you have to decide the division between XM memory and MP3 memory. BTW, I don't have an iPod. I have a RocBox (think black chrome Ipod for 40% less $... produciton stopped years ago though). I rarely use it anyway.

That being said, I'm still interested in it and it sounds like it may be a good fit for you too as long as the 1GB size isn't an issue for you.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
The Inno isn't an iPod replacement.

That being said, I'm still interested in it and it sounds like it may be a good fit for you too as long as the 1GB size isn't an issue for you.
For me, it would be a great replacement - for a portable audio device.. I wouldn't even use the Mp3 storage.. My phone holds as big as a memory card I could put in it..

It'll play the music all day long..

I am going to check out your antenna thread..
Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

My phone holds as big as a memory card I could put in it
Same here, but I don't play music on it.

Search this Thread