Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Should I ditch the hatch speakers?

Old 09-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I ditch the hatch speakers?

When I got my 97' Firebird, it already had...

- Pioneer DEH-P3800MP - with built-in MOSFET50 amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- Pioneer speakers in the doors
- Pioneer 6x9(I think) speakers in the sail panels
- Pioneer 6x9(I think) speakers SQUEEZED in the hatch area
- No amp...he took it out and disconnected the 12" subs before I bought the car

I'm thinking that I should ditch the hatch 6x9's and just leave nothing back there...maybe the 4 speakers can run decently on the HU without an amp...

What do you guys think?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

ghost town?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the speakers in the sail panels are now full range speakers and not just low pass like stock then the ones in the hatch probably don't matter much anymore. And yeah the HU should have enough power for 4 speakers, my older pioneer 45x4 handles stuff fine (not in my car yet, waiting on the dash adapter which the ebay seller sent the wrong one and won't get back to me on it grrrrrr......)
Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If the speakers in the sail panels are now full range speakers and not just low pass like stock then the ones in the hatch probably don't matter much anymore. And yeah the HU should have enough power for 4 speakers, my older pioneer 45x4 handles stuff fine (not in my car yet, waiting on the dash adapter which the ebay seller sent the wrong one and won't get back to me on it grrrrrr......)
Now that I think about it...the sail speakers might be low pass, while the 6x9's in the trunk are full range.

If I'm right, I guess I could just take the full range 6x9's from the hatch and put them in the sails...get rid of the current sail speakers...and have nothing in the hatch

How would I be able to find out for sure which set is low pass and which is full range?...I think the trunk speakers are full range because they seem to sound louder than the sail speakers and they thump a bit(sort of like subs)
Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a nice Metra dash adapter if it doesn't work out for you with ebay Sparky.
As far as the hatch speakers go most people just disconnect them. If you do alot of hanging out with friends in the parking lot kinda deal and feel you need that you can always use them but most just use the doors and sails. In a way your fortunate to not have to deal with the Monsoon.
I do carry some nice amps if you want more out of your system.
Factory speakers in your car are not 6x9's in the sail area...they are 6.5"s unless someone cut them out.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

kee you have a pm....

as he said the sail speakers are 6.5" round speakers. Stock are subs and would sound awful with full range signal sent to them.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all the hatch speakers are not 6x9 even though the grille might give that appearance. I believe it is a 4" "full range" speaker which is a joke.

To answer your question, yes, ditch those they are too far back to add any value even they were a decent speaker. If you put full range speakers in the sail panel location you will need to rerwire the whole system as stock setup only sends bass to those drivers. You can get a 6.5" skeaher in the sail panel location if you decide to rewire and ditch the factory system. If you are not prepared to do that I suggest just upgarding your door speakers and leaving the wail panel subs alone.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I took a look at the sail speakers, and they are oval shaped Pioneer 6x9's and it looks like he had to remove the panels to install them in that position...and I'm pretty sure those are 6x9's sticking out of my panels in the hatch. I wish my digi camera was working so I could show you how ghetto the hatch panels look with 6x9's sticking out. I also put my ear to the 6x9 sail speakers and heard sound(NOT bass) coming from them, just like any other normal speaker would.

Now that we know I have 6x9's in the sails and 6x9's stuffed in the hatch...how do I determine which set is full range?
Old 09-08-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

He said they were pioneers squeezed in back there, which I can confirm is possible since I did the same. Takes some cutting of plastic and some work but it can be done and they just barely fit behind the stock grills.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

6 1/2s in doors, 6 1/2s in sail panels, none in hatch.

6x9s do fit in the hatch, but they're not needed at all.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

6 1/2s components in the doors delete sail and hatch! Sounds sexy nice front sound stage
Old 09-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you say that the 6x9's in that sails are sticking out he may have not cut the metal to get them in there so remove them and see if the original hole is still round. I'll bet he didn't cut it if they were sticking out as that metal is tough. I cut mine to get 8" subs in there. It was difficult.
If he left the hole intact The you can still get some decent 6.5" speakers to replace the 6x9's.
Just pull the rear hatch 6x9's and leave the hatch alone.
I have aftermarket replacement speakers if you need some. Someone really did a hack job on your ride though!!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Today I got a chance to take a look at the sail speakers & the hatch speakers. The sail speakers are 4-way 6x9 Pioneers & the hatch speakers are 6.5" 3-way Pioneers. I haven't had a chance to take a look at the door speakers yet...

The holes under the sail panels for the stock 6.5" speakers were cut to fit the 6x9's, so I decided to leave them in there...and I removed the 6.5" speakers from the hatch.

It sounds a lot better now, and it doesn't even sound like the hatch 6.5" speakers are missing. Now I just need to figure out how to remove my driver side door panel so I can see why the speaker isn't working...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

I got the door panel off and fixed the speaker that wasn't working....the problem was a wire fell off a connector. The door speakers are 3-way 6.5" Pioneers.

How do I go about taking out my HU? I want to disconnect the wires from the 6.5" speakers I took out of the hatch...

Last edited by Impackt; 09-16-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6x9s in the sails?

6x9s really have no purpose in car audio. Not even in home audio. I don't think they really have a useful purpose at all.

Its a shame somebody chopped up your car to put in 6x9s... guess if you ever wanted to go back to 6.5s you could always use an adapter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I ditch the hatch speakers?