Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I got 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got 2 questions

First one is pretty simple, where does everyone mount there ground wire for there amps in the rear hatch? the guy before me just drilled into the body but I have getting feedback so im thinking the ground might be bad, Someone told me a bad ground will do that.

Now the other question has anyone tried to mount 6x9 speakers in the back hatch where the little 4inch speakers are it looks like that is what should be there with alittle cutting you and a good screen you could probly mount some back there or atleast littler 6x8s any info would be great on that and if there isnt any I might try to do it.

Thanks Jimbo
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure on the amp, don't have one.

I stuffed 6x8 Pioneer speakers back there. Used the original grills too so it still looks stock. Takes a lot of cutting and shoehorning to make them bolt in but it worked and you can't even tell from the outside unless you look closely (can see the very edge of the speaker frame and screw peeking out from underneath the grill).

Maybe I can snap a pic of my hackjob sometime for you if you want.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ohh cool thats fine I can imagine what it looks like, so 6x9s would be to big?
Old 09-11-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 6x8 fills it up pretty well. There might be enough room lengthwise to put 6x9 in there but I'm I'm not sure.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Banned

if there is still paint were they have the amp mounted sand it off. i put my ground where one of the x-mas tress hook's go ( sanded and bolted) works fine for me
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

awsome that might be it, the guy who had the car before did the wiring, im gonna replace it soon I was playin with it today and hooked up the far rear speakers and fidel faddeled with my amp setting and I followed it to next to the spare tire and jack. I think I rember hearing if its grounded near something else it gives feedback. Ill try the sanding thing and see how it works.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My ground is where the seat-belt is anchored. Made sure there was bare metal exposed using 4ga wire.
Why are you putting anything in the hatch area. Your focus should be doors and sail panels. Your taking away from your system by putting that type of speaker in the hatch area. It takes away from your front stage which should be your focus. Here's a little how to guide on car audio you may want to have a look at before hacking up your hatch panels to try to fit those in there.
http://www.fbodyaudio.com/articlevie...hgenguide.tech
This gives some really good advice on how to set up a proper audio system in a car for maximum sound quality. Most people with high end audio systems don't even use the hatch speakers at all. Plus if you have everything set right as far as the doors and sails, you won't even hear the hatch speakers.
I'm just trying to help you as far as audio set up is concerned, what sounds best to you is gonna be different from the next guy and I acknowledge that!! I just wanted to make sure you had a little more knowledge and possibly a different perspective before you went spending your money on equipment you might spend better somewhere else in your system.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I was just wondering I have my sub bridged into my 4 ch amp right now so only 2 speakers running I hooked up the sail panel speaker to see if they worked and I figured they wouldnt load my amp up to much like my rear speakers will, as I was there I looked at them and noticed it looked like there was suposed to be a big speaker and figured someone might have done it. Alright Ill probly end up grounding to that also.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with KEE. The only reason why I put my 6x8's back there is because I already had them from my old car, good speakers so I pulled them before the towtruck came to haul it to the graveyard. Also because it was the only decent speakers I had, half the stock ones in my car are shot so I had to get SOME good sound from somewhere.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for seat belt ancore
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, those speakers aren't needed, but if you want to do it the 6x9s will fit with a little trimming and the stock grills.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I probly wouldnt waste my time I need to get some new wiring for my car some good 4ga not this tiny 10ga. Think my MRD-M1005 with the gain turned down can push my little infinity 500w 10? I might try it to save some money for the time being.