Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Schematic help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Schematic help

Does anyone have a schematic or know where one is posted on the net of the junction bow that is underneath the hood with the IGN and Starter relays? I need to know what all the wires in that box do so I can solve my problem.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There is no schematic of the junction box. Each circuit has its own schematic and just shows the relay or fuse as part of the circuit. The schematics don't even show that the relay or fuse is in the junction box - you have to look that up on a separate chart.

Here are the two junction box layouts:

Junction Box #1

Junction Box #2

Let me know which circuits you're interested in and I'll see if I can post individual schematics for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

Junction box #2 I need to figure out why there is power going to the box but nothing going out to the starter. I get 12v in but none out and the fuses are fine. Some wires have been cut but none were connected to anything so I need to see if one wasn't supposed to be cut and got cut accidentally. I have BS3 so that is why they were not being used. I replaced the relays as well but no luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The starter relay has four wires - red, purple, dark green, and yellow with black. The red wire is 12V power from the battery through the 50A IGN maxi-fuse. The purple wire goes to the starter solenoid to run the starter. The dark green wire is 12V power from the ignition switch through the STRTR mini-fuse and either the clutch switch or the neutral safety switch (manual or automatic respectively). The yellow with black wire goes to the starter control circuit of the BCM (part of the VATS system).

Check that you have power on the dark green wire when you turn the ignition switch to START. That will eliminate the fuses, ignition switch, and clutch or neutral safety switch as the source of the problem. If you don't have power then the clutch or neutral safety switch is the first place to look - clutch switches can come loose on the pedal bracket or neutral safety switches are known to fail (how many cars have you seen driving around with their backup lights on?)

Then try grounding the yellow with black wire to test the BCM - if it starts then the BCM is the problem.

Let me know if none of that reveals the problem so we can look at the more difficult stuff like the PCM.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

I'll try this in the morning, thank you!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

The neutral safety switch was the problem. Wasn't getting 12v so I hooked another wire off the ign and it fired up. Now I just need to buy another switch, or two for next time! Thanks again.