Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Just bought my z28 and the head unit will never go off??

Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just bought my z28 and the head unit will never go off??

Ok guys im not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to electrical and stuff like that. Anyways here is my problem.

I jsut bought this 98 z28 a few days ago, and it already had a HU in it. Well i know in my TA that it will stay on until i open my door to get out. But in the z28 it will just stay on and will not go off.

How can i make the Z28 work the same way as the TA so i dont have to worry about getting a dead battery??? The guy that had it before me must not have known how to hook it up or something.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The behavior you mentioned for your TA is correct behavior.

For the Z28, he probably wired the thing to the always on power. There are 2 power wires, red and yellow, one is supposed to be always on for keeping presets, and one is supposed to be ignition switched.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dragonrage
The behavior you mentioned for your TA is correct behavior.

For the Z28, he probably wired the thing to the always on power. There are 2 power wires, red and yellow, one is supposed to be always on for keeping presets, and one is supposed to be ignition switched.
The HU is a piece of **** and i would like to just get rid of it all in all and just get a monsoon. Those things are just to damn expensive though. Im not for sure how hes wired it as i said i am not too good at the electrical side of working on cars.

On my TA like when i get out of the car it turns off, what is it exactly that makes it do that? Is there a door switch or something? I like how that setup works bc i can sit in the car with the key out and listen to music for a lil while until it auto shuts off after 5-10 min or so for battery saving.

I will prob end up just buying another HU and using it bc the one i got is fubared and just sucks.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Hard to get a HU worse than the Monsoon one. I'd take a JENSEN over the stock one.

Yes, the correct way involves the door switch. Lots of GMs do it. My car does that just fine even with my aftermarket CDP. It's great for if you go to pick up someone and you're waiting in the car for them or if you get gas, etc. Lots of my friends that are into Toyotas and such like the feature.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My guess is he didn't wire the HU right, he must have hooked up the batt and acc connections both to the batt from the sound of it.

BTW, I have a stock monsoon CD HU if you want it, it is a little worn (small cracks on the push-out balance/fader/etc *****, backlight for the 2 and 5 is out) but it works fine. I'll let it go really cheap. PM me if you are interested at all.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Hard to get a HU worse than the Monsoon one. I'd take a JENSEN over the stock one.

Yes, the correct way involves the door switch. Lots of GMs do it. My car does that just fine even with my aftermarket CDP. It's great for if you go to pick up someone and you're waiting in the car for them or if you get gas, etc. Lots of my friends that are into Toyotas and such like the feature.
Well it definitely looks like the guy did a shitty job at installing it. I mean all you have to do is plug in the harness right? Or what? If its just a plug in type deal wont it still have the nice features like door open radio off type deal?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
Well it definitely looks like the guy did a shitty job at installing it. I mean all you have to do is plug in the harness right? Or what? If its just a plug in type deal wont it still have the nice features like door open radio off type deal?
Should be just a plug in thing. But he might have not gotten the wiring harness and just cut-n-spliced. I did that on my old car but I didn't care, I knew that the car would die before the HU did. I was right, I now have that HU in my Camaro now but I used the wire harness since I care more about this car

Only way to find out what he did is to pull the HU out and see what he did. Nice thing is it only takes a moment to pop the trim off and take the two screws out.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

You have to splice between the car harness and the radio harness (the common wiring adaptors you buy in the store for this allow you to do this without cutting the connector from the factory harness, but you still have to splice the wires from it yourself)

Very easy to screw that up if you're new.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Do the interior lights also stay on?
If so, the problem is a dirty or failed door switch and not the radio.

BTW, the wiring harness layout/colors is listed in the Monsson FAQ. If the problem turns out to be the way he wired it, you can look at the diagram and change the wiring to use the correct ones. It may look like a lot of wires, but its not difficult. You probably only have to change one or two and looking at what he did and comparing it to the diagram should help you find and fix it quickly.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock headunits SUCK!!!! do NOT buy a Monsoon, they're horrible!!! get a pioneer or alpine!

Last edited by QWIK Z of OP; 10-08-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by VIP1
Do the interior lights also stay on?
If so, the problem is a dirty or failed door switch and not the radio.

BTW, the wiring harness layout/colors is listed in the Monsson FAQ. If the problem turns out to be the way he wired it, you can look at the diagram and change the wiring to use the correct ones. It may look like a lot of wires, but its not difficult. You probably only have to change one or two and looking at what he did and comparing it to the diagram should help you find and fix it quickly.
No the lights do not stay on.. I am talking to somebody about an Alpine HU for it bc the one thats in it now is a fold down type, and when i hit like anything the HU will fall down . Its just a POS that needs to be taken out.

Also the sound system in the Z28 compared to my TA, the TA owns the Z. Did Z's not come with the 10 speaker systems like the TA's or what?

Search this Thread