Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

messed up wiring for speakers?

Old 10-20-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up wiring for speakers?

I bought a camaro from some guy about a month ago. The car has 6 speakers total. The two speakers in the front sounded really bad, fuzzy and very quet. The rear passenger speakers cannot be heard at all. The speakers in the hatch-back seem to do all the work and are loud and clean.

I figured that the front and rear speakers were just blown or something, so I bought some new ones and tried replacing them. Same problem. I did figure out that the rear speakers will play a very low base.

I read the faq on here, and it got me thinking. My first idea was that all the wiring is completely screwed up, I have no idea where to begin so I need to bring it somewhere to get done professionally. My second idea is that maybe there is just not enough power? Another amp is needed?

Any thoughts would be great.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your radio wires to the speaker wires could be wired wrong. Do you have to monsoon system? If so make sure the amp is still there and hooked up. The amp is next to the spare tire.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he's getting sound from the speakers the Monsoon amp is there. It may not be functioning properly but it has to be there or he would get no sound at all. He does have the Monsoon or he wouldn't have hatch speakers and the sails would produce full range sound. All of the speakers are powered by the Monsoon amp. The sail panel speakers only produce sub frequencies so those are functioning, they may be blown though as that's what they do.
How did you hook up the door speakers? You can't just hook up just any speaker to the doors in a Camaro with the Monsoon as they have 2 pairs of wires for each speaker in the doors. 1 pair for the midrange and 1 pair for the tweeter. If you only hooked up one pair of wires you did it wrong which would explain a little. The speakers were probably already blown and then you replaced them with standard coaxials with only one pair of wires hooked up. I'm just guessing here, but that is a common error on the Camaro.
The speakers you use in the doors have to have the tweeter wires exposed in a place where you can get to them to hook them up or you will get no high frequencies. You cannot hook both wires togther to try and get full range either as this will result in very poor sound also.
I have replacement speakers that work with your existing wiring and sound great for doors and sails. If you need more help let me know.
-Ian
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

hmmm. do they sell conversion kits anywhere or something like that where I can just hook up regular speakers?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The halfass and simple way to do it is to get a coaxial speaker, cut the tweeter wire/capacitor off and solder a wire to it. Then use the stock tweeter wires for the tweeters and the stock woofer wires for the woofers.

The only good way to do it is to wire in an amp that'll give you a full-range signal or figure out how to modify the Monsoon amp to give you one (not worth it IMO, and not something I really looked into).
Old 10-22-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

damn what a nightmare this is becoming. I'm going to go run over to a stereo place and get an estimate. I just don't have the time or knowledge to do this on my own.

Search this Thread