Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

some insite needed on stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some insite needed on stereo install

I have a 1994 Camaro Z28 Vert. I have a sub thump passenger side stealth box, and i am going to buy the sub thump amp rack aswel. I have 2 MTX Thunder TA amps a 400X1 @ 2 ohms and a 100x4 @ 2 ohms, and i dont know what sub to get.... Im looking at a Thunder 8500 10 because of its high excursion, and people who own it seem to really like it. I used to run a Diamond D3 however its excursion was only 10mm it didnt move a lot of air. So i was looking at the T8500 10 and noticed it wants a little more airspace sealed. .7 cu ft. The Sub Thump box has .65 cu. ft. I know this difference is small but i dont know how significant it would end up being. The eD 11OV2 sub is perfect for this box on paper. Now ive heard bad things about eD before. Needless to say im a little weary of a purchase from them. Ive heard of over excursion causing tinsels to get ripped out, glue coming undone, their amps catching fire, not honoring their warranty, etc. etc. So maybe someone could give me some in-site to this company, and their 11OV.2 product. Ive searched for reviews and have so far came up with nothing really.

Anyways moving on to other aspects of my car. So i have a set of CDT CL61's i cant remember what EXACT model but it is a CL61.. Now im wondering can these speakers be wired to 2 ohm? If i remember correctly they are 4 ohm. If not are there any CDT's or other good component 100 watt systems that will run at 2 ohms? I dont really wanna have to go get another amp.

Rear fill... Ive been wondering about some midbass speakers for the rear fill (B-Pillar speakers) Ive heard highs in the back only clutter up the sound and the only thing i should put back there is midbass if anything. So im looking for some nice midbass speakers that will take 100 watts each at 2 ohms.
I ran into the eD 7Kv.2 subs while i was doing some seraching for midbass drivers for my b pillars.. eD sure seems to have everything i need and its really starting to bug me because ive been warned about them so again i need input on eD please!! Their tech reps seem nice and helpful. Idk what to think.. Anyways the 7KV.2 shown here: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=33

These are NOT midbass drivers. They are small subwoofers. So i wonder if they would be a good idea to get at all.. My car is a convertible. It SUCKS when i drop the top the bass pretty ends up isolated to the trunk. But it says nowhere on the site that these are free air subs so i wonder how they would sound in the b-pillar spot not having a box around them. I dont know if the mounting depth on my b pillars would even allow this but at 3.5 inches they arent that deep.. They weigh a massive 7 lbs though. The xmax is at 13mm and thats quite impressive. Anyways im curious to see if anyone has had experience with these before.. Maybe i could put those subs in the b pillar housing, get some camaro kick panels from q logic, put some 5 1/4 components in them or something, and then the midbass 6.5" in the door? Maybe i wouldent even need midbass with those idk.... HELP! lol so much i could do! But not enough knowledge or experience!!!

Head unit. Im an ipod guy, and i have to have an Ipod capable head unit. I know alpine has a unit designed specifically for the ipod but its stripped of all the features most alpines have. So im waiting to see if next years model is a little more refined. Does anyone have any suggestions in this area?

Deadening. I plan to buy some eDead SE (ive heard this stuff does get the job done pretty ok) However its not a good idea to have it exposed cause its not pretty, or to put it on areas like a trunk roof because dosnt like to hold well under heat and while im in the army, im stuck in GA... Its pretty effin hot there. So ill get a bit of that for areas that are not seen and areas it dont need to hold well like the floors and such. Ill get some second skin damplifier for the trunk lid and areas where sticking well, looking good, and maximum performance is important. Im looking at some eDead V4 aswel for other areas like inside panels and such.
One thing i am concerned about is the spoiler. Even with my Diamond, it managed to rattle my spoiler. I purchased a 96-97 SS spoiler on sale from SLP and i got the foam ring seals too. I am sure this rattle problem will still be present with the new spoiler. I have seen some talk about double sided tape on here for the spoiler needing to be replaced. Does anyone have pictures or something? Can i get this from the parts department at a local chevy dealer? Id like to fully understand this because rattle is something that really bothers me. Im sure a sub with much more excursion than that diamond will cause a lot more rattle.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cliffs notes?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol! Where are you at in GA? I may be able to help.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Well im deployed in Iraq. I sent you an email about a week ago Kee. But im stationed in Ft. Benning. Thats in Columbus.
Oh and my wife just told me the exact model CDTs i got. They are the CL-61CV's. Is there any way i can get them down to 2 ohm or is there a 2 ohm version out?

and sorry bat95.. Ill do cliff notes next time.

Last edited by future_Z_Owner; 10-22-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 ohm doesn't matter.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dragonrage
2 ohm doesn't matter.
How so? I have an MTX Thunder TA3404 http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...hunder3404.cfm

It will push 50x4 @ 4 OHMS and 100x4 @ 2 OHMS.. Im wanting to get 100 watts outta each speaker.. So if theres a way to make this happen with the CDT CL61CV's please let me know. Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Bridge the amp and it should do 100x2 @ 4 ohms. Though the speakers are going to be limited in excursion (Xmax) before power.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive been using elemental designs stuff for over 3 years, and have only ever had a problem with one products sent it back they gave me a new one and never another issue. I beat the hell out of my amps and never has one caught fire, ive never even heard that rumor. Heres a reviews by PASMAG of the 13ov
http://www.edesignaudio.com/pdf/13ov21.pdf
http://www.edesignaudio.com/pdf/13ov22.pdf
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Bridge the amp and it should do 100x2 @ 4 ohms. Though the speakers are going to be limited in excursion (Xmax) before power.
Yeah i could do that.. Then id be without power for midbass and would then need to purchase another amp to push some midbass speakers. Trying to avoid that. Looks like ill have to get another amp. BTW what do you mean by "Though the speakers are going to be limited in excursion (Xmax) before power."
I guess im not quite following you...

@Volvopenta
Nice name btw we have a penta in our boat. Great engine. Anyways Ive heard several things good and bad about eD.. I found some more bad stuff on this board. A lot of bad. Im officially staying the heck away from them. I think ill stick to CDT. Though its going to cost me extra money itll be worth it in the long run. I see KEE is in my area and is an authorized CDT dealer so ill probably be going through him for my stuff once he gets back to me. Thanks though!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

50x4 is pretty weak anyway, though it might be a little underrated. You might get more like 75x4 from it.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Hey dragonrage you have a PM