Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

exhchanging radio's? real quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhchanging radio's? real quick question.

if i was to trade someone my cd changer monsoon for there single is it just a simple head unit exhange?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Not sure what you're asking here. There was no in-dash changer available in F-bodies, only cassette or single CD head units. There is nothing special about either of them and they are completely interchangeable (plug and play).

However, there were differences between the Camaro and Firebird versions. They are still interchangeable but they look different and had different features. Firebirds had dark gray faces with gray controls, red illumination, and a graphic equalizer. Camaros had black faces with black controls, blue/white illumination, and speed sensitive volume control. The speed sensitive volume won't work in a Firebird because the wiring harness doesn't have the VSS wire but otherwise everything works the same.

There is a difference in capabilities between model years of the single CD head units. Prior to 2000 (actually late 1999), the single CD HU wouldn't work with the external CD changer.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

that gave me some new insight but basically can i change my head unit and cd changer for someone with a single disk head unit?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, that's what "completely interchangeable" means.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, that's what "completely interchangeable" means.
haha i just wanted to make sure thats all. i didnt wanna have to be radioless lol