Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

VATS Troubles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VATS Troubles.

I went to radio shack to get my key tested and of course the guy had no clue what to do or ever heard of someone doing this. I used his voltage meter and came up with 3.01 ohms. Looking at the key list I think I have key #9. Now would i buy three 1ohm resisitor. Or can i use one 3.3ohm resistor? I want to try and get this knocked out tonight if possible so any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The smallest of the 15 possible resistor values is 402 ohms. The value you got must have been 3010 ohms rather than 3 ohms. You can't get a 10% resistor any closer than 3.3K (3300) ohms which is pushing the limits of the BCM tolerance. You can get a 5% resistor of 3K (3000) ohms which will be a little more expensive but gives an almost exact match.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. Im going to a different radioshack and hopefully they will have more knowledgable people working there.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:02 AM

go to a local stereo shop, where people can actually read the OHM meter they are working with. I know that the resistance is actually diffrent between models years, and that the measure of the key is not always accurate to what the system wants to see. The system will allow for some "diffrence" in the exact resistance because it does not see the ohm resistacen, but sees the lower voltage. For example, when 12.4 volts is sent to the ignition of a certain caddilac switch and sent through the key, the second wire send back a reading of about 6.12 volts, which makes a resistor of 887 Ohms usable evne thoug they key reads 902 Ohms... you can find this information online because most alarm companies sell "packs" to shops that have all the resistors in them for bypassing VATS systems when using a remote start system. I have done this bypass numerous times without problems.