Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

TA, any way to make antenna only pop up when AM/FM is used?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA, any way to make antenna only pop up when AM/FM is used?

Is there any way to make the antenna only pop up when I am actually listening to the radio? I know it wont go up if the stereo is off, but I play CDs 99% of the time and it seems like something that will one day break and annoy me(especially if it stays up)...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can change it to quasi-manual control by putting a switch in the pink wire which tells the antenna to go up.

Just cut the pink wire and put one end to one side of a switch and the other end to the other side of the switch. The switch will basically disconnect/reconnect the pink wire.

Before:
WireHarness--------------------PinkWire---------------------------Headunit

After:
WireHarness----------------PinkSWITCHWire-----------------------Headunit

The reason I call this quasi-manual is because the antenna will still stay down when the radio is off, but I bet you want it that way anyway.

I did this on my car. You'll also have to extend the pink wire so you can mount it where you want.

With Extension:
WireHarness-------PinkEXTENSION-SWITCH-EXTENSIONWire-------Headunit

WARNING: If you are using the Pink Wire as the remote turn-on for an aftermarket amp, make sure you put the switch after the branch to the amp (but still on the main trunk). Otherwise, you'll also turn off the aftermarket amp.

Example:
WireHarness-------PinkEXTENSION-SWITCH-EXTENSIONWire----BRANCH---Headunit

If you tapped into the pink wire at the antenna to the get the remote turn on for the aftermarket amp, you'll have to run a new wire back to the headunit and branch off pink wire in the section closer to the headunit (like the above diagram) instead to use as the remote turn-on.

Last edited by VIP1; 10-28-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you just can get an aftermarket HU. Your choice.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an option but not all aftermarket HU's lower the antenna when another audio source is in use. However, alot of the nicer ones do.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
Or you just can get an aftermarket HU. Your choice.
Like KEE AUDIO said, not all aftermarket radios lower the antenna when using CDs. Also I'd rather spend $1.50 installing a switch than $200+ for an aftermarket headunit and adpaters/harness to install it. Its like using an anvil to kill an ant.