Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock amp/aftermarket HU ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock amp/aftermarket HU ?'s

Can I used the stock amp with say an Alpine H/U? Do I have to buy an connector? I tried looking in the stickies and couldnt find my answer. Thanks for helping, I know it will be an easy answer for some!

Its for a 99 T/A if that makes any difference.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You need:
* Mounting kit
* Wire Harness
* Antenna adapter
* Steering wheel control adapter
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

So the plug in (for the stock amp) comes with the harness? I have only done 1 install in my life and it was like 4 years ago. As for the steering wheel adapter and antenna adapter, would best buy carry them? If not whats a good site to get them on? Crutchfield? Or anywhere cheaper?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

at all cost dont use the factory amp they sound like garbage and they probably put out less then a new hu would find a bypass harness and unplug the factory amp in the rear and bypass it or have someone experienced bypass it for you and you dont need the harness
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
at all cost dont use the factory amp they sound like garbage and they probably put out less then a new hu would find a bypass harness and unplug the factory amp in the rear and bypass it or have someone experienced bypass it for you and you dont need the harness
The stock subs will still hit like they do without the amp? I was surprised at how welll they hit right now.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Unnecessary if you just want to add an aftermarket headunit. The stock Monsoon amp isn't that bad.

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
So the plug in (for the stock amp) comes with the harness? I have only done 1 install in my life and it was like 4 years ago. As for the steering wheel adapter and antenna adapter, would best buy carry them? If not whats a good site to get them on? Crutchfield? Or anywhere cheaper?
You can add an aftermarket headunit to the stock system easily. The harness adapter is actually optional. Its just a connector and wires, nothing special. It just makes installation (and later removal) easier. The mounting kit, wire harness, and antenna adapter are available at Best Buy and Circuit City. I doubt the steering wheel control adapter will be found there though. Crutchfield and SoundDomain both have it. Check with KEE AUDIO (a sponsor) to see if they have it or can get it. Crutchfield and SoundDomain (and probably KEE AUDIO) also carry the mounting kit, wire harness, and antenna adatper.

PAC makes adapters to retain the steering wheel controls. PAC SWI-X is the universal IR adapter that should work with almost any headunit with an IR remote. PAC also makes manufacturer specific adapters for headunits with a provision for a wired remote input. Example: SWI-PS works with Pioneer & Sony. Those adapters cost about $50-$70.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ian (Kee Audio) has a really nice dash kit for the HU.

I'm running an aftermarket HU and aftermarket speakers all the way around and running off the stock amp. Works fine, even considering that the subs weren't even made for a car but I "rigged" them to work lol. Though the GM oversize mounting was a pain to work with in the doors and sails