Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Whats the best stereo setup for a medium budget?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats the best stereo setup for a medium budget?

My Monsoon system in my 98 Formula in my sig is just not doing it for me. Now (thanks to my wife) one of the speakers is blown in the door as well

I want something that sounds good. Not just good, but I want it to be loud, clear, and have decent bass. Can this be accomplished by yanking out the Monsoon head unit, and replacing it with an aftermarket one, along with swapping the speakers in the doors, and in the car, along with a small amplifier? I am not totally apposed to having a box in the back, but if I could achieve what I am looking for just by replacing speakers, a head unit, and possibly an amp, thats what I would like to do.

How much would a decent setup like this cost me? I have never really bought anything like this before outside of buying a head unit.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a set of alpine type r component for the front, alpine 4 channel amp, stealth sub box with sub of your choice. You have a whole crapload of options for headunits depending on what you want, pioneer makes good ones, i know guys have clarions that they like etc. Then you wire up your headunit to the rear speakers, run speaker wire to the amp for the front components and then bridge the last 2 channels to power the sub. All in all you will get a pretty good system for not a bad price.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by transambandit
a set of alpine type r component for the front, alpine 4 channel amp, stealth sub box with sub of your choice. You have a whole crapload of options for headunits depending on what you want, pioneer makes good ones, i know guys have clarions that they like etc. Then you wire up your headunit to the rear speakers, run speaker wire to the amp for the front components and then bridge the last 2 channels to power the sub. All in all you will get a pretty good system for not a bad price.
So if you figure about $175 for a head unit, how much will everything else cost?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but DEFINITELY not Alpine components. They're not crap, but Alpine speakers definitely do not belong in a "best speakers" thread unless it's "best speakers on the cheap."

If you're saying best, OP, be prepared to drop several hundred on just the front components at least and it only goes up from there. Rainbow makes some great stuff around $300. I have some, very nice.

Whether you need a "real" sub. depends on how much bass you like. I definitely recommend one.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

PM sent!!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Like I said, I would like the "best" for the budget. Meaning if I have "XXX.XX" amount to spend, what would be the best setup. I guess ideally I would like to keep thing at or below $500 all said and done.

Again, really looking for speaker replacement, maybe a different head unit, and possibly a small amp. Could this be done well on this budget? Or would I be better off keeping the Monsoon head unit, and just changing the speakers and getting an amp?

More suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a good budget for a head unit, front component speakers and an amp. I wouldn't try to fit a sub in there on it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roughly 200 for a good head unit, the alpines are actually very good speakers, not the best but they hold their own, you can probably get a good 4 channel for about 250, the sub will cost you around 75-100, the subbox is around 100. Then you need to buy all the wiring which will run you another 40-50 bucks at least.