Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Critique my new setup please

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Critique my new setup please*Update*

Alright, I've been taking forever to piece together my stereo setup, but I've finally found some good deals locally and am ready to start putting it together. I'm posting this just to see what you all think about the plan and the setup, as I am incredibly novice when it comes to car audio.

[Head Unit] Starting to build a CarPuter with 7" LCD Touchscreen in factory location. Factory head unit for now.
[Doors] Alpine Type-R Component Speakers
[Sails] Going to leave these empty
[Sub] Alpine SWE-1042 10" Subwoofer in a custom stealth encloser (same as subthump)
[Amp] Alpine MRP-F550 4 Channel amp with 90x2 RMS Watts @ 4ohm and 250x2 RMS Watts Bridged @ 4ohm for the sub.

I'm looking to get is some good quality music for mostly rock/metal, and also a little bass/club music for kicks. I decided to keep it all Alpine, for no real reason other than I kind of would like it all to match.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Amoretti; 12-20-2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

you might want to look at an amp that will push the sub a little harder, like closer to 350-500w it will sound and hit better, other than that it looks good.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transambandit
you might want to look at an amp that will push the sub a little harder, like closer to 350-500w it will sound and hit better, other than that it looks good.
The sub is only rated at 150watts RMS.

I figure if I ever need more bass, I can replace the sub and buy a Class D amp to push it after bridging it with the amp.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:02 AM
TECH Resident

from the reviews of that sub, it looks like the 200x1 amp will be fine, just take your time tuning it in...other than that get a new cd player possibly?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the Alpine Type-R Components (SPR-17LS) and have no need for the sail panel speakers. With the sub in the hatch, the sails will be drowned out anyway. I would say skip the sail panel speakers and get the tweeter pods. I have pics in my sig that can help you out.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you want any kind of sound quality you'll want to replace the factory head unit first - it's a distortion machine.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blacker
I am using the Alpine Type-R Components (SPR-17LS) and have no need for the sail panel speakers. With the sub in the hatch, the sails will be drowned out anyway. I would say skip the sail panel speakers and get the tweeter pods. I have pics in my sig that can help you out.
I checked out your setup earlier, and I don't think I'll end up adding the extra tweeter pods. One of the main things I'd like to accomplish is not having anything look aftermarket. I figure the tweeters that are hooked up with the component speakers should do the trick.

However, it is good to know that the sail panel speakers will just be drowned out anyways. I was ready to spend another $100 on good sails, but I guess I'll just leave them out all together if they won't even be heard. Thanks

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you want any kind of sound quality you'll want to replace the factory head unit first - it's a distortion machine.
Yeah. I know the factory head unit is pretty crappy, but I really like the look of the factory head unit in the car. All aftermarket head units that are within my price range just look out of place in the car, and the shiny plastic and flashly lights just look cheesy to me. If I could find something that really fit in well, then I might consider adding it in the future.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Setup seems good. That amp should work well with the sub. I dont have experience with Alpine speakers but they should sound nice. I would go with a 2-way 6.5" speaker in the sails. And to really get great quality it really is a must to replace the HU. But I completely agree with you about aftermarket ones always looking out of place. Thats why I havnt done anything to my system yet. I think the stock system sounds nice. The only thing I would want to change would be the woofers in the sail panels. The cant handle tooo much and are a little sloppy. Ive thought about just installing sub JL 6" woofers with an extra amp. But, not anytime soon.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

If you're not looking for all the latest features (Nav, DVD, etc.) then the Pioneer 1.5 DIN units don't look bad and fit perfectly in the dash opening.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you're not looking for all the latest features (Nav, DVD, etc.) then the Pioneer 1.5 DIN units don't look bad and fit perfectly in the dash opening.
Interesting. I've never seen an aftermarket head unit that actually fits the factory location. I'll have to search for some pictures of that in our cars, I'm really curious to see how that flows.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Look for models DEH-P47DH and DEH-P77DH.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amoretti
I checked out your setup earlier, and I don't think I'll end up adding the extra tweeter pods. One of the main things I'd like to accomplish is not having anything look aftermarket. I figure the tweeters that are hooked up with the component speakers should do the trick.

However, it is good to know that the sail panel speakers will just be drowned out anyways. I was ready to spend another $100 on good sails, but I guess I'll just leave them out all together if they won't even be heard. Thanks
By reading your comment, I want to clarify my earlier statement. The tweeter pods are using the tweeters that come with the Alpine Components. My stock tweeter location is empty. This raised the soundstage and sound much better. The tweeter pods are ~$90 and well worth the expense. Also, I am using about 70 Watts RMS and the Alpines sound really good.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

^^ where did you get the tweeter pods, pm me
Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump. Updated with new specs, decided to change a few things.

Whatcha think?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

Personally I don't see how you can outweigh the benefits of an aftermarket hu. The stock unit looks good? It matches the interior I guess......

I don't like how most of them look either but can't deny any system I have seen on the factory hu always sounded funny until a decent one was put in. Not to mention your tuning abilities will always be limited.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

what are your hatch speakers going to be?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
Personally I don't see how you can outweigh the benefits of an aftermarket hu. The stock unit looks good? It matches the interior I guess......

I don't like how most of them look either but can't deny any system I have seen on the factory hu always sounded funny until a decent one was put in. Not to mention your tuning abilities will always be limited.
Yeah, the factory head unit is definitely going to limit the overall performance, but I've yet to find a headunit that actually flows in well with the interior for a decent price that isn't crappy shiny plastic. When I do find the right one, I'll get it.

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
what are your hatch speakers going to be?
No hatch speakers. Just Front Components and rear sub. I might end up running coaxials in the sails, and might just leave the rear tweeters hooked up as is. Haven't quite decided, but I'm certainly not upgrading them.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Decided to start building a 7" LCD Touchscreen setup for the headunit. I'll have a slimly built computer under the drivers seat controlling the audio/video.

I'll make a seperate thread for that when the time comes.