Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Did I get ripped off? Need subs too..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get ripped off? Need subs too..

I just got a system upgrade:
Alpine CDA-9884
Infinity 6022I (6 Speakers)

$800 with full install. (Ultimate Electronics) They said it was more because they had to rewire the whole car because of the Monsoon system.

I now need subs cause I got NO bass! I can't stand it. Audio Express has buy 2 for 1 RF subs which I think I'll go with.

Any recommendations or suggestions for me? I don't know anything about audio at all. I also think one of the new speakers is crap, idk though.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

That also included a warranty on the head unit.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

They should not have had to re-wire the whole car and you should still have bass I would believe.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jon5212
They should not have had to re-wire the whole car and you should still have bass I would believe.
Well... I asked a friend of mine and he had a boise sound system and when he upgraded best buy also had to re-wire his whole car as well.

On the monsoon it has lows in the middle of the car but I replaced them with 6x9s because I'm just going to get subs... but yeah there is NO bass. I suppose it could be the head unit. It doesn't have an EQ presets but I still think it's rather well. Looks good, I like plain. It controls the ipod great I think.

I guess I can always take the headunit back. Now I'm wondering if I should just attempt to wire the subs myself.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I would say yup you did...There should be no reason to rewire the car...They only did it to milk you for more $$ b/c you are not car audio savy as a lot of people....not that thats a bad thing they just took advantage of you.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

That's pretty weak of them...

Guess I won't be going back there anytime soon. And how can I tell if my speaker is crap? I mean I guess that's pretty self explanitory lol.

How about subs? I have a box that sits right under the hatch. Don't know what its called but it holds 2 12's. Any suggestions for an amp or brands or anything?

I don't wanna sqrew myself again this time...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet they sold you on the 6X9s as well..... should have gone with 6.5"s instead..

But considering the HU can be had for around $200 and the speakers $70 per pair (2 pairs assuming you would have gone without hatch speakers), you paid over $400 for the install.

Also - any idea how they wired it? 6 speakers can't (hopefully) be running off of the HU...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

They used the stock monsoon amp. Why go with the 6.5's?

I just went ahead and replaced all speakers including the hatch speakers.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the breakdown:

MOBILE INSTALL PARTS CHARGES...........$004.00
STANDARD SPEAKER INSTALL PAIR..........$040.00
MOBILE INSTALL PARTS CHARGES...........$002.00
15 MINS OF MISC LABOR.......................$017.00
INFINITY 6022I 3X (2 SPEAKERS)............$300.00
ALPINE CDA-9884.................................$200.00
ALPINE WARRANTY...............................$060.00
PONTIAC MULTI KIT..............................$018.00
GM ANTANNA ADAPTER BARBLESS...........$008.00
GM NEW HARNESS................................$012.00
INSTALL--------------------------------$753.00

The guy said he would give me a free headunit install which on the reciept -$32.00 but it is added right back +$32.00 like a little ways down.

Gay... guess I'm going to have to pay them a little visit.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why go with the 6.5's?"
Because your car comes with 6.5" speakers in it (doors and sails) and a 6 x 9" speaker does not sound as good as a round speaker does. They had to cut your sail panels to even get a 6 x 9" speaker in that location for an inferior sounding speaker.
Is it just me or is there a trend I'm seeing about Infinity's and no bass. LOL!! This is common knowledge but people keep buying them and then have the same complaint.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

I take that back, they are 6.5 2 way speakers. Sorry about that. I'll visit your site kee when I get a chance.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Places around here def take advantage of the average person who doesnt know anything or not much about car audio...in my old truck they tried to sell my mom 2 6x9s installed in my car for like $300 I said mom dad forget it thats WAYYYY too much for some 6x9s installed. THey made a good chunk of cash on you...prob takes em 5 min to install speakers and they charge ya $40.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned

It's not so much the time it takes for a professional installer to install something. Take into account they may install something that only takes them 5 minutes to do but it might take the average person 5 hours to do the same job. That's why they get paid to do it. It real easy to sit there and watch someone else do it and go.."oh, I could've done that". Yes you could have but you didn't and for a pro to do it they expect to get paid accordingly. Sometimes we can make things look very easy.
The problem I have is when someone sells you something you dont need, overcharge you for that product or lie and tell you this or that will sound great and they have no clue what it sounds like.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I got my head unit installed they had to disable the two hatch speakers.. I already had 2 10's and an amp that I wired myself, but the install of the HU was free with the purchase at best buy so I let them do it.. They had to disable or unhook the stock monsoon amps so it was nice not to have to mess with that...

The bass, however, comes from the speakers in the sail panels I believe..

If they rewired your entire car then they may have upgraded your wiring or it may have been needed with what all you got.. all I know is I've still got the stock monsoon with a different head unit and two old *** sony p5 10's and a sony 1200 watt amp it sounds good enough for me..

Good luck with your audio experience and definitely read up on the products before buying them.. don't just go buy the shop special that's going on right then...

Also might want to check into crutchfield.com... they have awesome tech support and help you out with whatever as long as you've ordered the stuff from them..
Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most places I have found will tell you not to waste the money on the hatch speakers, when I had my system installed I had then unhook the hatch speakers and its much better.

IMO I dont like the 2 12" setups that take all of your trunk space. I had one 10" Alpine type R installed in a side box and it is a nice clean install and with the amps I had installed with it I dont get so much bass that my car rattles but enough to be loud and perfectly clear.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I've been reading up on Crutchfield about the head unit ipod no song error. But I havn't really had the problem yet and I think I already know of the fix.

I guess you live and you learn. Just like my Z28. I paid for all the work on that, while I watched. Now I'm doing all the work on my Firehawk cause I saved a ton of money.

I will get subs here in a day or so my problem is I listen to hip hop and metal lol. So... 10s good for double bass, 12s for for deep bass. I also love techno so I got to figure out what I want. Maybe 1 10 would be enough. Maybe 2 12s would be awesome, I really don't know. I'm just sick of people saying one thing and doing another.

I guess I'll attempt to do the subs myself. But thanks for all the input guys!

But if you go with the stealth install, where does the amp go?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's pretty funny how they said they rewired the whole car, yet still used the monsoon amplifier. if they used the stock amplifier then there is no need to rewire the car, the wires from the speakers all run to the same plug..which plugs into the amplifier. they would have had to splice into those speaker lines to "rewire" it and there's no need for that bc those wires are perfectly fine to use on aftermarket speakers.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kmgsix08
it's pretty funny how they said they rewired the whole car, yet still used the monsoon amplifier. if they used the stock amplifier then there is no need to rewire the car, the wires from the speakers all run to the same plug..which plugs into the amplifier. they would have had to splice into those speaker lines to "rewire" it and there's no need for that bc those wires are perfectly fine to use on aftermarket speakers.
I guess I can check it out for myself. Anyone know what the stock wires look like? Can't be too hard to find out.

I heard about the very rear speakers being useless but I figured they were they for a reason so I just got them replaced anyways.

I always have to have music playing though. I listen to my ipod all day at work doing encyption and so I get in my car and I'm like damn... my headphone have more bass than this haha.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think you really got ripped off. 40 bucks per speaker install is pretty standard, even though the rears take 2 minutes. I see misc labor of 18 bucks or soemthing thats prly for the rewire i guess. Alot of ppl see that price and say you overpaid, part of that is you paid retail for everything not ebay prices etc
Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Trunion King

I have infinity kappa speakers but not the reference speakers like you have. 6022i model is pretty weak. My bass didn't disappear if anything it is more pronounce.

I'll be looking for replacements of my stock sail subwoofers and speaker hatch without being overdone with stock AMP and HU hopefully KEE AUDIO can assist with that.