Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Don't get Infinity Kappa Perfect component speakers for your f-bod, Thanks Ian@Kee!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Don't get Infinity Kappa Perfect component speakers for your f-bod, Thanks Ian@Kee!!!

As much as I wanted to believe that they were going to be allright for my setup, they just couldn't handle the power. The Kappa Perfect 6.1 component speakers were rated @100watts RMS 400watts max, they were being supported by the Alpine PDX 4.150 amp running 150watts RMS 300watts max.

Bottomline, as Ian from KeeAudio said, and this is his opinion, the Kappa Perfects are a fine speaker, but their mid-bass speakers really aren't that great for great midrange sound. I had to up the bass level all the time, sometimes 3 or 4 from neutral to make up the fact that the mid-bass was not strong, Ian told me that basically I was going to blow them sooner or later.

Guess what???

I blew them, not even a year in the car.

I have the component set in the front and just the midbass's in the sail panel, the right sailpanel speaker friggin FRIED.

so anyway, I talked to Ian who suggested to me the CDT speakers, same specs as the Infinity but the mid-bass was supposed to be WAY better than most, he promised me that they were going to be better than most of the 6.5" midbass speakers out there.

Sooooooooooooo I worked on my car Sunday & yesterday, and replaced both the sailpanel Kappa Perfects with the new CDT's...

Man, HUGE difference!

I have the bass set at +2 from neutral, treble @+1, and the CDT's make SOOO much more depth and mid-range compared to the Infinity's.

I'm pretty pleased, thank you Ian!!!

I be happish!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also look up Hertz if you want something really really really clear, they're a relatively undiscovered Italian brand.
I'm going with all MTX in my car, as I used to work at an MTX dealer and am still in good relations. (He sells Hertz too)
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was looking at the kappas
did they make good noise all around besides bass?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cliffs notes:

He used speakers for something they aren't intended for
He was warned of that and was told he would blow them
He did it anyways and blew them
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Cliffs notes:

He used speakers for something they aren't intended for
He was warned of that and was told he would blow them
He did it anyways and blew them

Not exactly.

I bought them prior to talking to Ian.
I was told that they were GREAT speakers, great for rock.
After installing them I wasn't impressed with the midbass, then was looking at other speakers(including Focal or Fokal??? Nice sounding speakers.) when I found some of Ian's posts here, and he told me about the drawbacks of the Kappa Perfects and THEN he told me in time I would blow them.

too bad too, actually the Kappa perfect tweeters are great, too bad their titanium coated midbass speakers couldn't keep up with them.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the infinitys are garbage all around, no midbass, and the highs are too harsh
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
i was looking at the kappas
did they make good noise all around besides bass?

Well you're going to have different opinions.

I think the Kappa Perfect tweets are great, pentavolvo doesn't like them at all.

If hindsight was 20/20 I would have opted for either the CDT component speakers that Ian offers or the Focals or MBQuart(pricey!)

As of right now I like my setup a LOT more than before, as the CDT's in my sailpanel area are providing a LOT more mids than the Infinitys, and the Kappa Perfects in the front with the tweeter pods give me some very nice highs with some midrange sounds all around me without having to up the bass much at all.

I could see replacing the Kappa Perfect midbass's in the fronts to the CDT in the future, but in the meantime I'm going to blast my stereo till the front midbasses die.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

I'm glad you liked them Carlos. I was confident you would. I also like the MB Quart and Focals. They are fine speakers as well and are in the same league as each other when it comes to quality and performance. They do have different sound though so listening to each is a good idea. I liked the CDT's the best so I have stuck with them a later became a dealer for them.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Trunion King

My kappas are working well with my "STOCK" amp and HU.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i dunno what you're all atlking about. I installed a system in my car w/ 4-CH Infinity amp, sub, H/U, Kappa 6.1's in front and Pioneer in the middle. They're the best speakers i have ever heard IMO. It is CRUCIAL you tune the system right tho. I did the whole install/tune on my system and i think it is ******* kick ***. Agian, just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs down

Everyone has thier own taste but I HATED the Kappa's when I tried them in my car. Damn things were too bright and harsh and I know how to tune a system. They lasted about a month before I pulled and sold them. I decided I'd rather have no speakers than the Kappas. I would also submit that in my opinion Kappa's are a mid level speaker performance wise at best. I'm not sure that I know anyone who has been into high end audio for a long time that would consider Kappa high end but to each his own. I MUCH prefer the sound of what I consider a higher end speaker such as Focals. Sure you pay a lot more but IMHO I got a lot more from them as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

Opinions will always very on different speakers fellas. Some guys will use the Kappas with success because they like the way they sound. Nothing wrong with that! I used Kappas and Reference Infinity's in my doors and for me....again....for me, they did not deliver what I wanted. I have had about 10 or so different speakers in the doors of my T/A. Infinity, Boston, JL Audio, CDT, Alpine, and a few more I forget. I also used them in different configurations with the use of the stock Monsoon amp, off 2 Clarions, a Pioneer, Panasonic , and now JVC HU through a 5-channel power series RF amp.
Opinions on what sounds good will always vary from listener to listener. I have an idea of what a person is looking for in a sound system by how they describe there musical tastes so I try to go off of that to give advice.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

I hate Infinity tweets too. They make my ears bleed. I'm going to be switching my car to Seas Neo tweets to go with my Rainbow woofs. The Rainbow woofs are metal and they can't play higher than 2kHz without ringing like a bell. Their crossover put it at 3.2kHz and the ringing would hurt my ears VERY badly with some songs, like Bob Seger's Hollywood nights. I've got them crossed about 2600Hz LR4 with my amp right now and the tweeters aren't that suited for low frequencies, whereas the Seas can go down to 2kHz LR4 just fine. And the best part is that I have them already. I think I might miss a bit of the sparkle of the Rainbows, but sometimes they had too much.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I hate Infinity tweets too. They make my ears bleed. I'm going to be switching my car to Seas Neo tweets to go with my Rainbow woofs. The Rainbow woofs are metal and they can't play higher than 2kHz without ringing like a bell. Their crossover put it at 3.2kHz and the ringing would hurt my ears VERY badly with some songs, like Bob Seger's Hollywood nights. I've got them crossed about 2600Hz LR4 with my amp right now and the tweeters aren't that suited for low frequencies, whereas the Seas can go down to 2kHz LR4 just fine. And the best part is that I have them already. I think I might miss a bit of the sparkle of the Rainbows, but sometimes they had too much.
there is a jumper inside the cross over box that you set to adj how high the tweets are
Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but liek u all said, it is opinionated. everyone has tehir own idea of what nice sounds like.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
there is a jumper inside the cross over box that you set to adj how high the tweets are
Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that the woofer can't play above 2kHz without ringing like a bell, and the tweeter can't play below 3kHz without distorting and sounding harsh.

I take back a lot of the praise I said for this system. It does sound great on a lot of songs, but I've since heard too many that make it HURT my ears due mostly to the woofer ringing.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

I too think they are complete garbage but I just deal with them until I have a chance to change them out for something that will sound good
If/when I change them it will be for focals.

I am seriously disappointed with infinity kappas, they are a complete joke and sound just terrible. They hurt my ears and produce nothing but highs when though I bought mids too
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
IMO the infinitys are garbage all around, no midbass, and the highs are too harsh
so true! My wifes Scion has the reference 6 1/2s (comps and coaxials) and I hate driving it! All I really listen to is rock and they suck! My 5+ yr old Rockford Fanatic Qs kill them and she loves my truck for the stereo!
If I had to replace them, Id go Focal or Alpine Type-R

Quick Reply: Don't get Infinity Kappa Perfect component speakers for your f-bod, Thanks Ian@Kee!!!