Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help with ignition tumbler

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with ignition tumbler

Can someone point me at how to swap out the key and tumbler assembly in the steering column? Mine went bad (security light etc) and I have a spare steering column with a key, and want to swpa it. I can't see how to get it out though and don't want to break it.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

1. Disconnect the negative cable at the battery. Wait at least 10 minutes to be sure the airbag capacitor is discharged
2. Remove the steering wheel
3. Insert ignition key into the cylinder but leave in the LOCK position
4. Remove the lock retaining screw (at the 12 o'clock postion in the steering column)
5. Disconnect retainers and clips holding the VATS wires and pull the harness up through the column.
6. Remove the lock cylinder.

However, this won't solve your security problem unless the other column happened to have the same resistor pellet in the key (1 in 15 chance). Installing the ignition cylinder from the other column and using the other key will not match the programming in your BCM and your car will not start.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I decided not to do this and just swapped the entire steering column for another one I had that has a key, works great now. So I guess the BCM doesn't care as long as the key and lock cylinder match.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Thanks, I decided not to do this and just swapped the entire steering column for another one I had that has a key, works great now. So I guess the BCM doesn't care as long as the key and lock cylinder match.
No, the BCM does care. There is absolutely nothing in the steering column or ignition cylinder that has anything to do with VATS other than the contacts and wires that connect to the BCM. You must have just been lucky and got another ignition key that happened to have the same resistance value. I'd recommend going out and buying lottery tickets while your luck holds.