Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod mod

Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ipod mod

I don't listen to the radio that much, I’m always listening to my iPod through a fm transmitter (itrip), but I can't stand the hissing, and the fact that if I drive 20 miles from my house I have to find another static station while driving, and that’s not very safe. So I decided to tap in to my monsoon 12 dist cd player that I don't use.

Things you need:
1/8 inch stereo jack from RadioShack
3 20 inch wires
Crimps
Stripers and cutters
Solder gun

Start by taking the radio out
[IMG][/IMG]

Take your cutters and cut the green w/ white strip, brown w/ white strip and the black w/ white strip.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The green and brow wires are your left and right, add a crimp the plug side. I used barrel connectors because that’s what I had. Also add a crimp to the wire you’re using to connect to the jack
[IMG][/IMG]

The black wire is a ground; add a crimp to the loom side and a crimp on the wire going to the jack
[IMG][/IMG]

Now solder the 3 wires to the stereo jack leads. The top lead is the ground the other two are left and right
[IMG][/IMG]
Run the wires to where you want to mount the jack. Drill a hole where you want to mount it. I mounted mine next to the cubby hole in the center console.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Use a 1/8 inch stereo jack wire (same size as the iPod)
[IMG][/IMG]

Make a dummy cd, put it in the CD player, plug in your iPod, and listen to clear cd quality music.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

god dam my car is dirty
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice work!

A couple of comments...If you splice into the changer harness (run the wires to your jack and then back to the harness) rather than just cutting, you could leave the ability to use the changer. Those jacks can be wired to cut off the outside signal only when something is plugged in so you could unplug your iPod and go back to using the changer.

And before somebody asks, you can only do this if you have a changer installed. Just connecting to the changer harness without a changer on the other end won't work because the head unit doesn't activate that port unless it detects a changer connected (that's the reason for the dummy CD).
Old 03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

x2 of what whitebird said, i plan on putting a small push button next to the jack so it can go back to cd. and yes you do need an aux cd player for this
Old 03-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Banned

can i plug in a factory 12 disc unit if my car wasn't equipped with one? also will this all work with an aftermarket HU? i plan on getting one soon?. I drive a 98 TA so i do have the 10 speaker 500W monsoon system in my car sorry if i jacked your thread nice install
Old 03-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can't use the factory changer in a 98 unless you have a cassette head unit. The single CD head unit didn't support a changer until late in the 99 model year.

And you can't connect a factory changer to any aftermarket head unit. The changer is made by Pioneer but it's made to GM/Delco specifications and won't even work with other Pioneer head units. There used to be adapters that would allow connecting it to Alpine or Kenwood head units but they haven't been made for years.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

is this with the factory stereo? ive got the monsoon factory stereo, can i still do this?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Teching In

i got a Delco single CD player out of a 99 monte carlo can i still do this? my car did come with a twelve disc originally
Old 03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by DHiser27
is this with the factory stereo? ive got the monsoon factory stereo, can i still do this?
This applies only to factory Monsoon systems with a factory external CD changer.

Originally Posted by 98ssbuiltnotbought
i got a Delco single CD player out of a 99 monte carlo can i still do this? my car did come with a twelve disc originally
The factory changer must be currently connected and working with the head unit for this mod to work. If that is the case then you can do this mod regardless of what model the head unit came from.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

and then when there is an audio input from e.g. an ipod the audio of the cd changer will shut down and i will listen to my ipod music?
and when i remove the ipod cable i will listen to the music?
That would be really great if it works like this.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, you will have to insert a dummy disc in the changer when using the iPod so that the changer will be running but not producing any audio. Otherwise the head unit will play the audio from the changer and the iPod at the same time.

I suppose you could just have the dummy disc in the first slot and then play discs from the other 11 slots when you remove the iPod.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they make a jack that you run inline so that once the ipod is plugged in the sound from the changer gets cut out... you would have to leave a disc in the changer so the radio thought it was "playing"

someone did a howto on how to tap inside teh radio and it worked regardless if you had a changer or not
Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pentavolvo

someone did a howto on how to tap inside teh radio and it worked regardless if you had a changer or not
I think the name was "Jason Novak"
Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did something slighly similiar... I bought a wired fm modulator for like $30. You wire it between the antenna connector and the HU, and has an rca input. I wired it under the center console and mounted the switch for it and the aux cable in the center console compartment. Sounds not exactly great but until I get a new HU it will have to do. I will try and take some pics when I get a chance.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

find the thread by jason novak, its hardwired right into the cd circuity sound quality is as good as it will get
Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

are the wire colors the same in a 1998 trans am with monsoon sound system and disc changer in the trunk?

one stupid question to the dummy disc.
is this a blank cdr or do i need to burn an 80 minute audio track that has no sound?

hey i cant find a stereo jack like yours with 3 points to connect wires.

i have only found this. here.

can you tell me which wire i have to connect with which number.

THX and best regards
Attached Thumbnails ipod mod-stereo-jack.jpg  

Last edited by Player87; 03-28-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
I just did something slighly similiar... I bought a wired fm modulator for like $30. You wire it between the antenna connector and the HU, and has an rca input. I wired it under the center console and mounted the switch for it and the aux cable in the center console compartment. Sounds not exactly great but until I get a new HU it will have to do. I will try and take some pics when I get a chance.
A wired FM modulator should not require any kind of switch. They are designed to switch to the auxiliary device when they detect audio signal and switch back to FM when there is no signal. So you control them by turning your MP3 player (or whatever) on or off.

FM modulators will work with any year or model of car without affecting an external CD changer - it doesn't matter if you have a changer or not.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Launching!

You can use the same switching jack and wiring scheme as when you wire it directly into the radio (which doesn't need a changer)... that way you don't need a CD with nothing on it, which I suspect is still generating some kind of noise - when a jack is plugged in the audio from the changer is completely bypassed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....43&postcount=5

The jack pins that say "from CD player module" would be the half wire coming from the changer I believe, The pins that say "from CD connector" would be the half of the wiring going to the back of the HU.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

can you please tell me where to buy a stereo jack like the one in the first posting.
at radio shack there are only mono jack adapters with 3 pins on the bottom.
the stereo i found all have 5 pins and i dont know how to wire them
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Launching!

The radio shack jack in my post is a stereo switching jack with 5 pins:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103451&cp

You can check store stock online, or go in and look for part #274-246

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ipod mod