Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

license plate camera installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default license plate camera installation

Just ordered one of these.
http://boyovta.com/products/VTL420.html

Just wondering if anyone else here had hooked one up. If so, how did you route the wires?

Do you have to drill a hole behind the license plate to run the wires through, or is there already a hole there you can use?

I think it would look pretty ghetto to have the wires running down and to see them hanging under the license plate, so I assume you have to run them through the body somehow so you can't see them.

Also, I know you normally hook these up to the reverse light wire so they just come on when you put your car in reverse.

Anything stopping you from just running it to a normal 12v wire that is on all the time? Then you could just switch to it whenever you want, even when you are driving down the road.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably run wires through where the license plate light bulb goes. Won't look as good as running from behind it, but better than going under the car.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeffbab

Also, I know you normally hook these up to the reverse light wire so they just come on when you put your car in reverse.

Anything stopping you from just running it to a normal 12v wire that is on all the time? Then you could just switch to it whenever you want, even when you are driving down the road.
Should be fine but I would consider going to an accessory or ignition wire if you dont want to use the reverse lights. If you goto 12volt constant the camera could stay on even with the car off which is fine unless you accidently leave the switch on and your battery dies. Just my .02
Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

defently make sure to update this thread, i want to read a review. I've been thinking of doing this to my car.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Navy01Z
Should be fine but I would consider going to an accessory or ignition wire if you dont want to use the reverse lights. If you goto 12volt constant the camera could stay on even with the car off which is fine unless you accidently leave the switch on and your battery dies. Just my .02
He could add a light that indicates the camera is on so he wont forget to turn off the camera.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I drilled a hole through the bumper cover, behind the plate. Then wrapped it in loom and up through a grommet in the t-top hole. Pretty clean. I wish i had bought the one you have, but i already had this one that was on a truck i used to own. I did the "no no" and drilled a hole in my plate. It hooks up to a rear view mirror display.

Last edited by WhiplashDVD; 03-18-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: picture didnt embed
Old 03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Should be here in a couple days so I will do an update when I receive it.

I almost bought the Kenwood CCD2000, since my deck is a Kenwood, but this license plate thing looks a lot more stealth. Shouldn't be too noticeable.

Quick Reply: license plate camera installation