Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo sound goes up and down

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo sound goes up and down

My car is a 2002 z28 with a stock stereo and when Im driving the sound will go up loud and then it goes down and then back up and so on. Has anyone ever had this prob?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have your SCV (Speed Controlled Volume) **** turned all the way up? The SCV is the little rotating piece that is surrounding the Volume/Power **** that moves up and down. This makes is so when ur driving faster, the volume will automatically turn up, and when you slow down, the volume will turn down as well, to compensate for the wind noise in the cabin. Turned all the way up will provide the most dramatic effect, and all the way down will turn it off completely and the volume will be set at what ever you have turned it up too for the ride whether going fast or slow.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your problem could be the SCV as mentioned above or if you have the steering controls they might be the culprit as well. I had a problem with my T/A going full volume randomly when I first bought the car. The Firebirds don't have SCV so I was at a loss. Turned out it was my steering volume controls.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Teching In

mine does that too. dont know what the ef it is. its just random.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Your problem could be the SCV as mentioned above or if you have the steering controls they might be the culprit as well. I had a problem with my T/A going full volume randomly when I first bought the car. The Firebirds don't have SCV so I was at a loss. Turned out it was my steering volume controls.
I have ws6 interior so I dont have a SCV. How did you fix the steering controls?

Stephen
Old 02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally id start with pullin the radio out and unhookin the steering wheel controls and see if the problem goes away
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

I will give it a go.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I think mine is doing the same thing... But it's almost like it's only the bass that goes way loud... (or maybe it's just emphasized by the DD9515)

Just seems sometimes randomly the bass goes wayy freaking loud with the rest of the range staying the same...

Trans Am so it doesn't have the SVC
Old 04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Just curious KEE AUDIO, did you have to replace the steering volume controls to fix this problem?
Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did because the volume on the steering control turned out to be the culprit. Actually both of mine were pretty wore out as the car had 120,000 miles on it. Replacing them fixed the problem and then I went total aftermarket with everything in it and never used them anymore. I could use the PAC SWI-JACK but just haven't done it because I never really used the steering controls so I wasn't used to having them. Plus I use my remote alot.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just unplugged my steering controls, dont really feel there is a need for them, especially driving a m6 my shifter hand is the side with the volume! WTF! whos bright idea was that and the cup holder behind the shifter?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm... I think you guys are pretty lazy if you don't use the radio directly, considering how close it is....