Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How can I disable the auto head lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can I disable the auto head lights?

I didn't see it under Frequently Asked Questions, but is there a way to disable the automatic head lights on my Camaro? Sometimes the lights come on when I don't want them to. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Its in the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html
(Its in the "Hall of Fame" sticky in the "Appearance & Detailing" section.)

Here is the "Auto Headlight Defeat" topic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....61&postcount=8
Old 04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

theres a black box module behind the radio. Unplug and remove it. worked for me however i have an auto and i think i read somewhere it affects other things if removed in 6spd cars.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by One Bad Z
theres a black box module behind the radio. Unplug and remove it. worked for me however i have an auto and i think i read somewhere it affects other things if removed in 6spd cars.
wow, i might have to try this, i had to unclick that box and place it to the side so my new car stereo -at the time- could fit.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by One Bad Z
DON'T DO IT! The DRL module does other things besides the DRLs and automatic headlights. Perhaps you hadn't noticed that your front turn signals don't work anymore?

The mod to disable automatic headlights by shorting the sensor wires takes only minutes to do and has NO side effects.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
DON'T DO IT! The DRL module does other things besides the DRLs and automatic headlights. Perhaps you hadn't noticed that your front turn signals don't work anymore?

The mod to disable automatic headlights by shorting the sensor wires takes only minutes to do and has NO side effects.
I had zero effects other than the auto headlights not working which is what i wanted.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

It is electrically impossible to completely remove the DRL module and still have front turn signals unless you did some rewiring. Some people have unplugged one of the two plugs (in an automatic) to accomplish that but the second plug carries the turn signal power for the front signals. The side effect to removing the single plug in a manual is that the power hatch release won't work anymore.

Either you didn't properly describe what you did or you haven't looked at your front end recently.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

I removed the c2 connector and again had ZERO effects. The link below says removing the C2 connector will disable DRL and automatic headlights. It also prevents the ebrake switch from turning on the "BRAKE" light on your instrument cluster. And with a manual transmission, it disables the power hatch release. I never use the e-brake so i could careless if the light in the gauge cluster works or not and my hatch button works perfectly.

Disable daytime running lights how-to
http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well, DUH...your original post said remove the DRL module entirely! I think I said you must not have described what you did accurately.

Oh, yeah... and I did say that removing the single plug in a manual disables the power hatch release.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Been a few years since i did it. Thought there was only 1 connector, my bad. getting old sucks.

Quick Reply: How can I disable the auto head lights?