Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity 2ohm 6.5's?

Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Infinity 2ohm 6.5's?

Has anyone used the 2 ohm Infinitys with the monsoon amp? They're a shallow mount speaker, 6022si.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, I am currently running Infinity's throughout my car. I tried running them on the factory amp don't really want to talk about the results. Yes... that bad IMO. I went back with the factory speakers and they sounded better, but not great. I finnaly put them back in and am running them off a 5 channel kicker amp and LOVE the sound. The tweeters are kinda bright though. I feel the problem was the built in processing of the Monsoon amp and the speakers crossover network conflicted. I never tried using them without there own crossovers though. You can't run them directly off the factory HU as the load will be to low.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Infinity's have been discussed ALOT on here. Through the stock Monsoon amp they lack midbass and generally do not sound good. The tweeters have been described by many to be too harsh. They do not sound good through the stock Monsoon stuff.
That being said there are many other speakers that do sound great through the stock Monsoon without having to buy another amp.
Generally the best upgrade for the average guy with a Monsoon system is to upgrade the head unit and the speakers. For most this upgrade is enough. I carry several speakers that work well with the Monsoon.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'd like to stay away from the HU. I already have an ipod input on it and I don't want to mess around with an SWI-X again. I had one in my Mountaineer and it worked ok, but I'd rather not.

I took a look on the KEE site and was wondering how your components might compare to say a type-s alpine set. I found a good deal on the alpines and historically I've really like their sound. I've never had any experience with the ones on your site, though.

Also, since we're talking speakers, do those Bazookas really sound good? I've never thought of Bazooka as being a top choice for audio speakers, but they seem to be the only ones who make 6.5" dvc's for my firebird. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

do not buy infinity kappas, I have them and when ever I get some other things resolved/installed, I am going to ebay or sell them here

in fact if you really are dead set on them, I will give you a good price

I have the components in the door and 2 ways in the sail panel

but be prepared they are all tweeter, not sure why they even made a 6.5 mid to go with them, and the frequency response is terrible, so even the highs sound distorted at higher volumes imo
I never turn mine up though anymore, I tried adjusting my HU's EQ and my amp for quite a while before giving up
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'll probably go with type-s alpine components. I have an idea about your Kappas, though. I used to have Infinity perfects in my old Grand Prix. I had them amplified with 80rms from a 4ch amp and they sounded great, but then I took the system out to sell the car and hooked them up to just an aftermarket HU just to see what they sounded like a 20dollar walmart speaker. Infinitys, especially the high end ones, IMO, need to be amplified. They do have really bright highs, though, that's for sure.

Last edited by Hatchetman337; 04-16-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kee what speakers should be used with the Firebird Monsoon system and why. What will sound good?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

I think I'll probably go with type-s alpine components. I have an idea about your Kappas, though. I used to have Infinity perfects in my old Grand Prix. I had them amplified with 80rms from a 4ch amp and they sounded great, but then I took the system out to sell the car and hooked them up to just an aftermarket HU just to see what they sounded like a 20dollar walmart speaker. Infinitys, especially the high end ones, IMO, need to be amplified. They do have really bright highs, though, that's for sure.
my JL amp is 110x4 at 2 amps, but it is not turned all the way up
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
my JL amp is 110x4 at 2 amps, but it is not turned all the way up
Maybe they're just tuned badly. Not sure what to tell you about that.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

what do you mean by tuned badly? are you saying that the EQ on my HU can make them sound good, I doubt it. I have tried just about every setting and friends have tried to tune the EQ as well to make them sound good, it just does not happen. Also all the BS BBE and other signal processing is off, currently the EQ is just left at default (flat) with a 80Hz crossed over, so I do not bother trying to get them to produce full range by any means anymore. I mean I do not expect them to bass at all, but they are not full sounding, just highs.
factory speakers maybe not be as clear, but they have a fuller sound, and I mean any factory speaker not just monsoon
Old 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, I meant the tuning on your amp. That would make the biggest difference, I think. I never had a problem with mine. In fact, I thought my old perfects put out a lot of bass for a 5.25inch speaker.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

its turned up to about 3/4 which is somewhere around 70-80 watts
Old 04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the frequency? That'll make more of a difference in the sound.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

I believe the low pass filter is on, cannot remember what its set to, options are 50,55,60, and 80, but it really does not matter cause the HU is filtering 80hz and lower as well, but I have turned it off on the HU and it does not help
and the input sensitivity is about 3/4 up(aka gain)
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is that HU going to filter to the amp, though, or is it filtering to what would be if it were running the speakers itself?

anyone else, feel free to chime in if you have any ideas about this

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-17-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

I am not sure what you are asking but both the HU and amp have filters, high pass and low pass, and both are set the frequency of the each filter

the model and makes are in my signature

the low pass filter is to remove the lows for the mids and tweets and the high pass filter is used for the subwoofer

older infinities were better made, especially perfects
thats probably the difference

mine have some bullshit heatsinks and smaller magnets, which makes me believe that is the problem with the frequency response of the speakers

older models used large magnets like all quality speakers do
Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine weren't THAT old, though, maybe about 5 years ago or so. I can't imagine that a set of kappa would just sound like crap unless there was something wrong with that particular pair.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps I have a MUCH lower standard when it comes to rating the quality of sound coming from a particular speaker setup, however I just installed a pair of 62.7is in my 2002 SS (with Monsoon) and they greatly improved the mids and highs. It's obvious to me that this speaker is designed more to hit the hights and mine sound pretty good, even at high volumes. The tweeters can be a bit on the bright side, however that only took a simple adjustment.

I will offer one disclaimer: I was simply looking for a cost effective replacement for my ailing factory speakers. At $72.00 shipped for a new pair, in my opinion, they were well worth the money. Given that I still have the factory Monsoon head unit (and related crossovers), I did NOT use the crossovers that Infinity supplied. While I'm pleased with the performance of the speakers, I am perfectly aware that it's far from being "top of the line".
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

4-channel amps are harder to tune properly than sub amps, IMO. I still think you're in need of a good tuning. The speakers shouldn't sound just plain bad for no reason. Infinitys ARE known for having bright highs, but they should at least sound clear and have some mids. When you tune the amp, don't even look at the numbers for the freq. control. Just listen to how the speakers sound. Start with the gain lower, too. You don't always need it high for them to sound good. Is your amp an A4300? I'm looking at it right now on JL's site and it looks like you can turn on a bass boost for channels 3 & 4, but I don't think you want to, because it makes them a mono channel. I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing, I just want to try to help you out.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

I have a e4300 which is just the previous years model. I think the case might be different otherwise exact same amp. I am not sure if the bass boost is on, but I am doubting it. as far as the sensitivity I have to turn my HU up pretty far for it to be loud on the highway.

really though if you want me to set the amp a certain way and try it

give me suggestions, how and where to set the sensitivity, low/high pass filters and frequencies, and what setting would be appropriate for the HU. Currently channels 1and2 are the doors, and 3and4 are the sail panels, no sub currently. Also the install was done with all new wiring, none of the stock wiring was used, except the HU harness of course. The amp has its own fuse under my hood and the run is 8 gauge wire if I remember correctly.

I have messed with it quite a bit, but if they could sound good that would be nice. Even a friend who is a car stereo and home theater nut, was really disappointed with how they sounded. It was him and my cousin(electrical engineer) that helped me do the install. My cousin was the one pushing the infiinities. I really wanted focals, but was open to other speakers based on the price of the focals.

Search this Thread