Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Possible to hook up aftermarket amp, and sub to factory headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible to hook up aftermarket amp, and sub to factory headunit?

I was just wondering if its possible to hook up an aftermarket amp, and sub to a factory headunit.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding a sub to the factory system is relatively easy. The most common method is to add an amp and mount a stealth box with a 10" sub in the cubby space on the left of the t-top storage area. You will need a line-level adapter that is available for just a few bucks from any stereo or electronics shop. It will convert the speaker-level output of the head unit to the pre-amp (line-level) input needed by most amps (you can also buy some amps with speaker-level inputs). A common place to mount the amp out of sight is with a mounting board at the back of the car below the hatch lock. There are all kinds of options if you want to show off your amp - check out sites such as subthump.com for some ideas.

this was posted by whitebird in his sticky u should read all stickies....good stuff

i bought mine at best buy for like $35 extremely simple to wire even for the half color blind like me!!!!

you wont get the best sound out of the factory HU though
Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an amp and subwoofer on my factory monsoon stereo for a while ... I used a pac audio OEM-1, there are many different versions - basically with different adapter cables for different makes and models. It connects between the head unit and factory harness, simple plug and play. I think it's like gm21c for the 98+ monsoon.