Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU cutting out at high volume....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HU cutting out at high volume....

ok so heres the deal....I have a kenwood HU and the jackass who installed it before i owned the car clipped the harness and hard wired it up.. I went thru and completely redid every connection and hooked up and checked each speaker one at a time. The HU cuts out (stays on but no sound) if i turn the volume up to about 17-20. not to loud. I beleive something is grounding out, but I hooked every speaker up by itself and turned it up one at a time and nothing happened. Its only when all speakers are hooked up when this happens. I am just looking for some direction before i re-wire the whole sound system...Thanks

sorry for the long post...........
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Is it still connected to the stock Monsoon amp or has it been rewired? Also, are the stock speakers still there?

There are a number of possibilities depending on your configuration. For example, if the previous owner left the original speakers but rewired them directly to the head unit (bypassing the Monsoon amp), you could be running 2-ohm speakers on a head unit that isn't 2-ohm stable (when you turn it up, it shuts off because of excess current flow).
Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything as far as speakers are still stock and is a 94 formula (should of noted that) i don't beleive it had the monsoon system. none of the speaker connections have been messed with just at the HU.
thanks