Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: whats the right course of action?
From my EXPERIENCE, i know it will be just fine
0%
Never done it, but in THEORY, you should be fine
0%
Never done it, but in THEORY, you're asking for trouble
33.33%
Are you nuts!?! from my EXPERIENCE, you're gonna fuck stuff up!
16.67%
I honestly dont have a clue either way
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

is this feasible on a 02 T/A with monsoon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default is this feasible on a 02 T/A with monsoon?

in another thread(https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...67#post9180567), this was posted:

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
...The "parallel" connection is just overloading both channels onto a single speaker. I don't think this works because those who have mentioned trying it have also mentioned that they have no bass from the sail panels. As fredmr39 said, you could try it with some really cheap sub that you don't mind destroying if things go wrong.
in response, i said

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
is it an overload for the amp or an overload for the speaker? i figured each channel can only create so much current flow, and if the speaker can handle the higher current flow, i cant see why it wouldnt be the ideal way to wire it. also, people have lost their bass response by doing this?

BTW, i'm talking about a t/a with the dual 4 ohm coils per speaker at the B pillar position.
after doing searches, i am more confused now than when i started. i've heard some people say it would kill the amp, some say it will kill the speaker, and some say it will work. i'm trying to settle this once and for all.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is that you'll be driving voltage into the outputs of the amps. Whether it will fail depends on the amp and the voltage and how different the signals are between the channels you're connecting together. It can be as bad or worse than grounding the outputs of the channels.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The bigger question is why bother? Even if you end up with double the power to the speaker, you only gain a small amount of sound pressure (volume). Output volume doesn't double when you double the power - it takes ten times the power to double the volume.

So...why take the chance when you gain so little even if it works without damage?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

3dB is a fairly significant amount.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

3dB is certainly audible but I don't know that I'd call it significant. It would be enough to affect the balance between speakers (bass output in relation to front mids/tweeters) but equalizer adjustment should take care of most of that difference. Besides, I'm sure that good SVC aftermarket subs would be 3dB more sensitive than the stock speakers making the difference unimportant.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

a 3 decidel gain in sound pressure is 8 times as loud. you guys saying that is what i loose by only using one of the two channels?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
a 3 decidel gain in sound pressure is 8 times as loud. you guys saying that is what i loose by only using one of the two channels?
Huh???? Where would you get a number like that?

A 3dB difference is noticeable but not even twice the volume - let alone eight times! It takes about 10dB to make a difference that is perceived as double the volume. And it takes 10 times the amplifier power in watts to produce that doubled volume. The same applies when reducing the volume - cutting power to one tenth results in half the volume and cutting power in half results in only a 3dB drop in volume (far less than half and nowhere near one eighth).
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

last time i checked, it took twice the sound pressure to raise 1 decibel. so three decibels would be eight times the original sound pressure. i know its been a while since i was in school, but, damn.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Then it's a good thing you asked.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

are we talking about the same thing? are decibels used to rate stuff other than sound pressure?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

It can be used to express the difference in magnitude between any two forces (of the same type)... You could use it for water pressure in the pipes in your house if you wanted. It's usually used for electrical voltage or power or for SPL/radio broadcast power.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

for the ones that voted that i would mess something up in theory, can you explain your theory behind your choice?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a way to look at it. Best case scenario it gets a little louder. Worst case scenario it shorts the amp out causing a spark that ignites the car on fire and burns it to the ground. But really the worst I could see happening is the amp and sub frying. I have never tried this. Since your asking me, I don't think I would do it. The pros just don't overweigh the cons.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Keith Lewis
Worst case scenario it shorts the amp out causing a spark that ignites the car on fire and burns it to the ground.
No, it won't cause a fire.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

anybody else?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The bigger question is why bother? Even if you end up with double the power to the speaker, you only gain a small amount of sound pressure (volume). Output volume doesn't double when you double the power - it takes ten times the power to double the volume.

So...why take the chance when you gain so little even if it works without damage?
Yup, and the bigger difference is that it would sound clean at high volumes without distorting.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Josh_101
Yup, and the bigger difference is that it would sound clean at high volumes without distorting.
So you're saying that connecting two channels to the single voice coil speaker will improve distortion levels over only using one channel on an SVC speaker? If that's the case, why doesn't everybody do it?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, clipping is a voltage-limited situation, so paralleling amps wouldn't help anyway. When you put amps that are voltage limited in parallel, the only way to get more power is to decrease the load impedance.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you're saying that connecting two channels to the single voice coil speaker will improve distortion levels over only using one channel on an SVC speaker? If that's the case, why doesn't everybody do it?
Sorry, what I simply meant was that if power is doubled on any stereo system (not refering to what the OP was confused about) it would sound cleaner at higher volumes, but not become twice as loud like you said.

Cant really answer that about connecting two channels to a single voil coil, thats sounds pretty ghetto to me, I wouldn't even try it.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

my biggest deal is the wasted channel. its like leaving free horsepower on the table. true, it might only gain a couple horsepower, but its free. if thats ghetto, i guess every innovative racer that has tried something different for a few more horsepower is ghetto. and those guys are spending THOUSANDS of dollars for a few horsepower. this isnt costing me anymore money at all. just a couple more butt connectors, lol. considering the modifying nature of this site, i'm surprised more people havent tried it.