Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp install help please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Amp install help please.

On my amp there is blue wire that goes to another blue wire on the harness (power antenna), but my camaro didnt come with a power antenna so the blue wire isnt there to hook the amp up to, should i just tap into the yellow (switched ignition) or is there something that i am missing??

Thanks
Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wire on your amp is probably the remote turn on wire. It's the wire that carries a signal from your HU telling your amp to turn on.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

Blue is usually Power antenna , Blue/White is usually the remote turn on , yellow is usually the Battery lead wire. And Red is the switched ignition lead.

However on an amp there should be no Power antenna wire ha. You could just pop out the test light and see which acc. comes on with the turn of the key. Unless you have an aftermarket deck which has the output wire for a remote turn on wire.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

This a new install? New wiring harness and aftermarket HU? Vindcatr's post above is right. If you are using a new harness and aftermarket HU, match up all of your known wires (spkrs, +12v, neg, etc.) and use a test light to discover your remote turn on.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the stock headheadunit, and the amp needs to be wired to the remote turn on (power antenna) but Camaros dont have the blue wire on the harness for me to tap into. I know the yellow wire is the switched 12v from the ignition key, would that work?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hatchetman337
The wire on your amp is probably the remote turn on wire. It's the wire that carries a signal from your HU telling your amp to turn on.
i aggree with you
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Usually yellow wire has power all the time. U probably want to go with the red wire witch is ign switched but like it was already said, pull out the test light to find out. It shouldnt be too much work.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM

usually the blue wire is the remote turn on for the head unit not power ant. Call crutchfield. they will hook you up and talk you through it. They are pretty good about stuff like this.

crutchfield.com