Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lost Keys....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Keys....HELP!

Hey, guys, I have a 95 camaro. I was down to one set of keys, The car has been garaged for around 9 months now. Well, we just moved into our new house. Its starting to get warm out now, so Im about ready to get the Z out for a little fun, and thats when it hits me. WHERE THE HECK ARE MY KEYS? I now dont have anything. Anyone ever had this issue, or know what I have to do to get a new set of keys and key fob. I see key blanks and programable camaro key fobs on ebay, but having a hard time believing that im going to be able to just take them into a locksmith and say here...cut me a set of keys for my dumdumdumdum...lol
Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Banned

hey, i've been there before and it was a rather frustrating issue. you can take your VIN to a dealership and pay them to look up your key cut and security signal then pay for keys, labor, and programming for your remote...

thats what i did and got screwed, they offer no guarantee even if they make an obvious error. none of the keys worked because of bad cuts so they tried telling me both doors and hatch were changed so i had to get a locksmith and he spent just a few minutes to make working door keys. i then found that the ignition didn't work he luckily had the proper tools to find the frequency (there are 15 different ones) and then cut a new working key. we then found that the key codes he measured were the same as what GM had looked up and they just cut them wrong. they still wouldn't refund my money

to answer your question.. a dealership can do it if all locks are original and the person working isn't a moron. or a locksmith can definitely do it just make sure they have all the necessary equipment.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

im not sure if we have the same alarm system i have a 98, but you still have both options. if you get a locksmith get under your car and unplug your horn, it gets very annoying as finding the frequency can be a little time consuming (trial & error)

also get the remote somewhere other than GM and program it yourself it's very easy and way cheaper. instructions are posted on this forum somewhere. (i even programed a used one from a wrecked car cost me $5)

hope this helps ya
Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea - go to the dealer with your VIN. You may also want to take your title as proof of ownership.

When at the dealer - make sure they PUNCH your keys rather than grind them. If they don't have a puncher, go to another GM dealer who does. Punched keys will match exactly, where grinders' calibration can be off - causing "bad cuts." (If one dealer has the blank but not a puncher, you may want to buy the blank and take it with you in case the next dealer doesn't have it in stock.)
Old 04-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Banned

^^^^ oops forgot about takin the title and picture ID.

yea mine were ground... i told them to fix it cause it was way off but they insisted it was brand new that week.... so i was probably the 1st to be screwed.