Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Factory key with computer chip help!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory key with computer chip help!!!???

Does anyone know how to bypass the alarm on a 1998 z28 as in bypass the computer chip for the key......car sometimes wont start because of this really frustrating help please
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

First of all, the chip on the key isn't a computer chip - it's a simple resistor. There are 15 different resistance values GM used for its keys. The body control module (BCM) checks the resistance of the key in the ignition when starting. If it matches the value it has programmed then it allows the car to start, otherwise it shuts off the starter relay and the fuel supply to the engine.

It is fairly easy to bypass if you have some electrical experience. All you have to do is disconnect the wires that go to the ignition cylinder and connect them together with resistors that match the programmed value in the BCM. That way the BCM sees the proper value all the time. A quick search on "VATS bypass" will get threads on how to do it including photos.

You may not need to bypass the system. Since your problem is intermittent, it could be the result of a dirty or worn key, or grime in the ignition cylinder. That will change the resistance causing the system to think the wrong key is being used. Clean the contacts on the key pellet using a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol. Clean the ignition cylinder by spraying in some contact cleaner (or TV tuner cleaner) available from Radio Shack. Also, try your spare key to see if the original key is the problem.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Have it tuned out
Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
Have it tuned out
Not possible. You can tune out the VATS system in the PCM but that doesn't eliminate it. The starter relay control function of VATS is controlled by the BCM which is not programmable.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 AM

Well i was just wondering but it is the only key i have to the car and i took it to a mechanic who claimed it was a computer chip and says he can bypass it but after looking at the thread you were talkin about its clear i can do that haha since i am an electrician
Old 04-29-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You may not need to bypass the system. Since your problem is intermittent, it could be the result of a dirty or worn key, or grime in the ignition cylinder. That will change the resistance causing the system to think the wrong key is being used. Clean the contacts on the key pellet using a pencil eraser and some rubbing alcohol. Clean the ignition cylinder by spraying in some contact cleaner (or TV tuner cleaner) available from Radio Shack. Also, try your spare key to see if the original key is the problem.
This is what happened to mine. The guy said my key was worn so I got a new one made and haven't had a problem since.